End of the night chatter

ambe0487

Songster
Jul 6, 2015
Urbandale, IA
Holy moly, the end of the night is by far the loudest my flock gets. Are they discussing the day? Arguing who gets the spot next to who? Man, there are purs, chucks, chirps, squeals, purring squeaky sound for at least a half hour before they finally settle down. :love

Holy moly, the end of the night is by far the loudest my flock gets. Are they discussing the day? Arguing who gets the spot next to who? Man, there are purs, chucks, chirps, squeals, purring squeaky sound for at least a half hour before they finally settle down.
love.gif
Create a peep hole so that you can spy on your peeps. You will learn much about chickens by observing their behavior at bed time when nothing is distracting your chickens from being chickens. Duh.

They are still in the inside brooder so I get to watch nightly. Once in the coop, I'm planning on having a baby monitor in there to listen.

Our egg layers and meat birds all talk if the white light is on at night. It does seem to help them with egg production in the dark days of winter, but we don't leave them on all night long. When the light is out, or if we will turn on a hanging red lamp (only for super cold nights) will the talking stop. When the meat birds are in there, the egg layers are a little bit more disturbed, too.

For the chicks in the brooder, they do make a bit more noise for the first week or so at night. Once they get used to the routine, which includes the red lamps for heat, then they only get talkative when we do our last nightly feeding. Egg pullet chicks are a lot more calm than broiler chicks, too.

We have flocks of wild birds that roost in the trees in the parking lot of Wal-Mart. If you're there at dusk, those little things are putting up such a fuss, swooping around and flitting from one tree to another, jockeying for the best spot. They're so noisy!

Same for wild turkeys in the area. Bedtime is so noisy, full of chatter.

seems counter-intuitive to me. I'd think a prey animal would want it's sleeping place to be hidden and unknown, but birds seem bent on advertising where they're going to sleep. Loudly.

Tee hee amber0487 like Ol Grey Mare, I enjoy the bedtime ruckus also. We have a lot of “she is in my spot”, “get out of my spot”, “get off my foot”, “move over a bit” etc .. always gives me a chuckle.

As donrae mentioned, living in Aus, we also have large numbers of parrots, cockatoos etc around the place and their noise at dusk is deafening. The Crows are the same.

Back
Top Bottom