Ended - Coop Page Contest Early 2011 - Winners Chosen!

I am hoping this is not just for folks who want to have the fanciest and prettiest, but the practical too. We are using an overbed camper off a truck. I put a box cover over the sink, they like that box, and have picked up a few small used sinks and placed covers over the heads and they nest quite nicely in there. The bed section was removed and the cushions removed leaving more room on the sides for nest boxes. The cabinet doors were removed and they like to jump up and nest up there too. The other cabinets and closet are used to store equipment and egg boxes. Shovel for quick cleaning. Etc.

I lived in this unit myself for 3 years before i got something upgraded, and got chickens. You can find camper shells or campers sometimes for cheap, with stove not working or other parts not working, which you don't need anyway. I removed the range top and glued down wood and sealed it. I dust with sulfur for mites, and diatomaceous earth for lice. Haven't had them for at least 10 years. Roof can be sealed with roof tar. I actually insulated the outside, campers not being very cold hardy. I plan to stucco the outside as my girls are finding ways to go into the walls of my added insulation. One bad girl hatched a few chicks in the added wall.

They are free range right now, and I plan on Premier electric netting to protect them further. Until I get that done, we have found adult male urine in milk or water jugs around the perimeter to be very effective. Sounds gross but it works.

hcarlsonlewis-
V ery nice! I like the additional run space you've added! Still researching plan ideas and your coop is exactly what I've been looking for!

Last edited:
Here's my coop. I'm proud of it because I built it myself!
smile.png
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=37862-kruer-bantam-coop It's 95% complete - got most of the finish work wrapped up this weekend.
Please add it to the small coops section. Thanks!
smile.png

Hi BYC! My husband and I are new here and we have loved it so far! Here is the coop we were inspired to build...complete with chickens. We just finished it.
Please add it to the small coop section.
We lve being urban backyard chicken owners! Breakfast anyone?
Lindsey

....it won't let me put the url in the message. It's "The $44.20 Ralston Eggery."
Please find it!! Thanks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=80131

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok everybody, thanks for all the AMAZING submissions!

We'll start the process of organizing them all into our list so we can begin the process of getting votes, choosing a winner, and then adding them all to our amazing coop designs index!!

woot.gif

(BTW, if you missed this contest, no worries... we'll be starting another one as soon as this one is all finished!)

I built a coop out of pallets that I found for free, it took some time to build. I first made a corner with two pallets and then added pallets to them and ended up with a coop 4 foot by 8 foot and 7.50 foot high. I had to fill in all the pallets with strips of wood which I took off of other pallets I found. It was not easy to get the boards off the pallets, but I did it. I made two nest boxes that I put on the outside of the coop. They are made of texture 111 and looks rough like the boards of the pallets. I had a old door that I had outside getting weathered, and looks so neat with the old paint peeling off it. All I had to buy was 5 2x4's for the rafters for the roof, and 3, 1 pound boxes of screws, so the total cost of my coop was about $28, and looks sharp. Not sure how to add a pic.
C:\\Users\\User\\Pictures\\2011-03-03 COOP

Back
Top Bottom