English Shepherd as Poultry Guardian

Pics
Dog's, and hotwire, not effective during heavy storm. Dogs cowered up to house and fence got knocked out by lightening. Red Fox worked birds scatted by storm before dogs got heads back into game. Lost only one bird, a special one. Rifle will be brought to bear on fox to make a point.

The fox might come back after his initial good luck and find the dogs ready to deal with him this time!

Rodents eating spillage around feeders, especially where feeding regimen is free-choice. Mice not able to access stored feed.

Fox did come back following night (actually early AM). Stag pulled from roost and damaged yet stag manage to fly 200 feet horizontally and 30 feet up to safety of a tree. A couple more birds knocked from roost. Dogs here some how involved as dogs in dust up during that time and likely had role with respect to no losses.

This morning a neighbors Australian Shepherd (AS) made an incursion into our yard for brief attack on my female dog. Ben and Lucy countered chasing interloper across road where they got him down and mauled him good better part of minute before I got there. Ben and Lucy where biting him in the abdomen and throat shaking him good with fur flying every where. I was able to get my dogs off so AS could get away. That dog will be very sore for the next few days. Lucy was the more difficult of mine to call back as she really does not like that AS. As male and weighs about 70 lbs which is bigger than Lucy at about 55 lb. Numbers trumps size. Lucy already helped kill one dog and likely helped maul another a couple months ago that was also bigger than even Ben that is pushing 75 lbs.

Just got two kittens about 5 weeks old. One passed away. Ben had a little trouble adjusting for first couple days but now sleeps and plays with the kitten. Lucy ignores it even when crawls on her. That dog can sleep through anything. Adult cats slower to adjust.

Just got two kittens about 5 weeks old. One passed away. Ben had a little trouble adjusting for first couple days but now sleeps and plays with the kitten. Lucy ignores it even when crawls on her. That dog can sleep through anything. Adult cats slower to adjust.

This is just surprising, Ben is turning into a very good dog!
Playing with a kitten, who would have thought it.
Thanks for the update.
Scott

Back
Top Bottom