Enrichment for disabled chicken?

I have a special needs bird that doesn't roost on her own and frankly falls over several times a day. We have to help her onto the roost at night (she no longer tries) and she needs a little help navigating when free ranging, but I think she has a perfectly fine quality of life considering her issues. She has no issues with her place in the flock and isn't picked on by others.

So I think as long as your bird isn't suffering, I think eating, drinking, dust bathing, and standing around probably is about as good as it gets for her.

Does she want to roost? You could try making a ramp up to the roost for her.
I have a special needs bird that doesn't roost on her own and frankly falls over several times a day. We have to help her onto the roost at night (she no longer tries) and she needs a little help navigating when free ranging, but I think she has a perfectly fine quality of life considering her issues. She has no issues with her place in the flock and isn't picked on by others.

So I think as long as your bird isn't suffering, I think eating, drinking, dust bathing, and standing around probably is about as good as it gets for her.

I can try to make her a ramp. I think she doesn't want to roost because it hurts her to jump off again. What would be the best way to make a stable ramp for her to use?

Gotta wonder here.....
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

All my chickens have free access to layer feed (but I'm feeding chick starter right now because I have a hen raising chicks). They also eat whatever bugs and plants they find when I let them out, as well as a treat once a day (usually mealworms or some kitchen scraps).

I can try to make her a ramp. I think she doesn't want to roost because it hurts her to jump off again. What would be the best way to make a stable ramp for her to use?

I don't do ramps, I do steps. IMO easier for chickens. Even my special needs bird can manage hopping up and down cinderblock steps to get in and out of the coop. Of course this only works if the roost isn't too high. I will say that my special needs bird will not use or stay on a low roost, she insists on being placed on a normal roost, and yes she falls off every so often.

I don't do ramps, I do steps. IMO easier for chickens. Even my special needs bird can manage hopping up and down cinderblock steps to get in and out of the coop. Of course this only works if the roost isn't too high. I will say that my special needs bird will not use or stay on a low roost, she insists on being placed on a normal roost, and yes she falls off every so often.

How would I build her some steps? Can you post a picture of your set up?

How would I build her some steps? Can you post a picture of your set up?

These are my steps to the pop door, my girl can wiggle-hop her way in and out. I would imagine something similar would work with a ramp or whatever else, as long as it wasn't too high (as I wouldn't want to stack too many cinder blocks). Or you could build wood steps I suppose.

coopc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom