Enteritis or upper intestine coccidia or..?

Serenity Sav

Songster
8 Years
Jan 23, 2014
Albuquerque
I have a buff orpington pullet (about 5 months old) that has been having consistently black, watery, very stinky poop for about a month now.

She was part of a rescue of chicks from a feed store that had severe, SEVERE coccidiosis in all the chicks in their very very filthy bins (they had gone years without cleaning the bins that hold thousands of chicks each year 🤢 And at least half were dying from coccidiosis each year).

Anyway, I immediately began treatment for the coccidiosis when I received them, they were about a week or two old at that point. I’m very experienced with generally treating and identifying cocci in chicks; I’m familiar with its ability to have “rebounds” and that there are different strains that affect different parts of the mucosal lining of the digestive tracts, etc etc.

All of the other chicks have more or less completely recovered now, except this one buff orp chick.
She is the only one that has had this issue, all of her poops, every single one, is watery, pure black, gooey and SMELLY. Whenever she poops, a very loud fart sound accompanies it.

I’ve been keeping her inside so I can observe and treat her accordingly until it’s better. But I can’t for the life of me figure out what is causing this.
I initially thought it might be coccidia of the upper digestive tract, and that the blackness might be from partially digested blood, but treatment of amprolium and later toltrazuril have not yielded any changes.

My next thought was that it may be enteritis as a result of recently overcoming coccidiosis; I’ve tried administering spectinomycin, doxycycline and a variety of probiotics. Nothing has changed yet. If it is enteritis, my understanding is that penicillin or lincospecticin is the preferred treatment (?). I haven’t been able to find a source for linco-spect yet; I have erythromycin in powder form for fish on hand; would that be worth trying?

Thank you for any insight. She is a special girl and I am trying to do anything to help her. There are no avian vets remotely near me. I recently got a biology microscope so I could do my own fecal tests, etc for my birds, but I’m still learning the ropes of it.

For enteritis from clostridium perfringens, my vet recommended metronidazole twice a,day for at least two weeks

Did your bird(s) have the same type of consistently black, tarry, very foul odor droppings when they had clostridium enteritis?
What was the dosage strength for the metronidazole?

*Bump*

Sorry to be a bother; this pullet is still having ongoing issues, and she’s really really special to me (not that others aren’t..) but she’s been my lone house chicken for the past few months and we’ve gotten so so close.

Also, none of my other poultry have been having this problem at all.
She occasionally gets a slight cloacal prolapse too; it easily gets pushed back in, but she doesn’t lay eggs yet and I’ve only rarely seen prolapse in birds her age. And her butt area gets dirtied very regularly, almost like vent gleet?

But her droppings are pretty much always, always pure blackish tarry sticky really really bad smelling, never the same color or consistency that her butt feathers get dirtied by.
I soak her in warm epsom salt baths whenever her butt area needs it, and I trim away the feathers in that area, but they still look bad super fast.
Here’s a picture of her vent area right now (I pushed the prolapse back in).
Any ideas? 🙁

Attachments

• 85BC22A2-5ED3-456D-9BC4-789D84FC2CCA.jpeg
    85BC22A2-5ED3-456D-9BC4-789D84FC2CCA.jpeg
    747.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom