Entire Flock Killed!!!

yallwatchthis

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
pensacola
About a week ago both my Rhode Island Reds were killed by coons or opossums, I set a trap and caught 2 opossums (1 had 7 babies, bonus!!) and a coon, and shot a opossum in the pen,. I fixed the hole they tore in my wire and checked all my other fencing but 2 nights ago something dug in my coop and took both my buff orphingtons heads off and partially ate one. I have now declared all out war and even my neighbors have gotten their .22's out and are watching for me, but are there other things anyone else is doing to protect their flocks my 3 year old son is very upset and i don't want to get more chickens just for this to happen again. I am keeping 2 traps set at all times and buying 2 more traps at tractor supply after next pay day and im spending about an hour a night predator hunting with my redbone "couch" hound (he may be a redbone, but my wife has turned him into a giant baby). If anyone has any other suggestions or ideas i would greatly appreciate it.

OMG, I'm so sorry!! That's horrible!!

What kind of fencing are you using? If they are nighttime predators only, can you lock the chickens in a secure coop for the evening?

I'm sorry to hear of your loss
hugs.gif
There are lots of threads on here about raccoons in particular and the pros and cons of "waging war" on your neighborhood predators. IMO the best use of your time and effort is in critter proofing your coop and run. You can never eliminate a raccoon population, not even if you made it a full-time job.

Oh, I see you live in Escondido. I used to live in northern San Diego county too. Lots and lots and lots of predators in that region. Beefing up your coop and run will definitely be a good investment of time and money!

Last edited:
You can't kill them all. There will always be more to move in. You have to build your pens to protect them as best as possible. You need to use 1/2 inch hardware cloth or equally sturdy wire and bury a foot or two all around the edges. Chicken wire is useless as protection. Some use electric fencing. You can do a search on here to see how to predator proof. There are many threads that tell what people do to protect them.
sharon

I live where we have major coyotoe problems. I have not lost any chickens but have lost ducks . All my nieghobors have lost their flocks more then once. I figure its only a matter of time before they do get some of my chickens. They even pushed in the door of my neighbors coop. I use metal chain links with thick wiring to keep them from pushing the links apart at the bottom. I also use chains to lock my doors at night to keep them from pushing them in. At least then i could hear it and chase them off. Or better yet my large dog chases them off but we have a gun ready just in case. You could also try a thick chicken wire barried into the ground so that way they dig they hit the wire. Really it takes time sometimes to figure out how smart the critters are trying to get your flock. Out here we have had coyotes take off with several fifty pound dogs. Scary. I have found a lot less sightings of them when my horse is running loose in the yard. Not sure if that is helping or not but something we have noticed. I figure my coops might not be pretty but they do the job and protect them.

We use welded wire on the outside of the run, and chicken wire on the inside.I dig a ditch along the outside of the run and bury a foot wide strip of chicken wire that is attached to the wood of the run. Then bury the chicken wire. You have to feel all around the coop for little gaps, because raccoons will reach in and grab any part of the chicken and pull it up to chew it. I heard if you mix fly bait with coke it is irresistible to coons and it kills them, but I have not tried it yet. Good luck, hope that helps

my chicken run is 16ft x 16ft and has a peaked roof 6ft on sides and 10ft in center the sides are 2x3 welded wire and the top is chicken wire, what ever got in the first time broke the welded wire.

I do not have a door on my coop
he.gif
but will add one before getting more chickens, so i can keep it locked at night.

I know i can't kill all of the predators , but i will give it my best shot
big_smile.png
and will keep a trap baited from now on to try to catch them before they get the chickens.

thanks for the help and, please keep it coming.

Happy Easter to all
bun.gif
and please remember its about more than eggs, candy, and baskets.

yallwatchthis, the easiest way I have found is running electric fencing around the perimeter of the building that houses your birds. I run the wire about 4 to 6 inches off the ground and make sure you have a good ground. A 2 mile electric fencer unit costs around 40 bucks, probably could pick one off craigs list for even cheaper. And takes very little time to hook up. No predator is going to push that type of barrier.

Back
Top Bottom