Entire flock of 6 stopped laying eggs

DryCreek Chixs

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 26, 2010
We are going through our first seasons and first year with our flock of 3 RIR's and 3 Barred Rocks. They have been fabulous, and very productive, but about 3 days ago they stopped laying eggs completely. We live in a fairly mild climate in Northern California and I'm not sure exactly what is causing this.... is it temprature? light? And can I do anything to get them to start laying again? My wife thinks they are just mad at me for not letting them roam outside of their run while our winter garden starters are getting started (the girl would destroy it in about 30 seconds)

Mine stopped laying 2 weeks ago... and are molting severely... hope they get back to it soon... my hubby is eyeing them up for dinner.

I would guess it's "stress" from being cooped up when they're accustomed to free ranging, and possibly mixed with shortening day light hours, cooler temperatures, and maybe molting.

Quote:
I agree it is probably a combination of all of these. But the change in environment/routine may be what stopped them laying altogether. When they do start again, they may be laying less eggs per day than before.
CJ

If I understand you correctly these birds are a year old? If they've been laying for a year they are due to moult. My experience with the breeds you have has been they are fairly regular about doing this annually at the point where they first started to lay. If that's the case, give them some time and they'll start laying again, not as often but bigger eggs.

I'm in N. CA also. If my hens were of laying age, I'd certainly follow the idea of supplementing light to ensure a minimum 14 hour day. We're getting less than 11 right now.
I'd also protect my garden with some netting or something, so the girls can still go out and be happy. Those might help, however, Woodmort seems to be the resident expert around here, so I would heed his suggestion

Quote:
I agree it is probably a combination of all of these. But the change in environment/routine may be what stopped them laying altogether. When they do start again, they may be laying less eggs per day than before.
CJ

I also agree. this is your cause, but you need to let them have a break for there bodies to recoup from all the laying as well so it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom