Er...male duck Q

Quote:
I've seen a picture of what it looks like when that happens. It was awful.
sickbyc.gif

Taking care of Freckles was not a pleasant experience, he's a sweetheart though and I'm glad I did what had to be done. The information I found was in "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks". If you don't have a copy, it's a great book and available at most libraries.

How common is this condition? Is there a breed more or less prone?
The 4 hens never notice it or every really care. They don't even understand treats or worms I toss up for them. They just look at it all like it's going to eat them, lol.
I guess I'll go out later today w/my net and try catching him. Gotta trim my Mallard hen's wings anyway.

Yea, nobody google images for it...not at all what you are looking for...

I've had ducks for 8 years and keep approx. 20 ducks at a time. I've seen it once. That's about all I know about it.

You really do have to be careful what you Google!

Well, he had something stuck in it and that's why it wouldn't go in. Not sure what it was, it bled obviously. Lets not tell people live animals don't bleed, that is just a lie and commercial talk. Anyway, left it be for now since I didn't use a net to catch him. I just ran around until he was tired enough to make a mistake and I got him. I'll still need to take the 1/2 tip off, it's gone for good.

Oh, I didn't say it wouldn't bleed (poor fella!), just that I don't remember my boy bleeding a lot. I waited too long and he'd gotten pretty messed up. It was several years ago, my memory might be off a bit. It's a really hard thing to deal with, at least for me.

He's still one of my favorite boys and I'm sorry he wasn't fertile after that. I would have loved to have his Welsh Harlequin babies. We just lost his mate this summer - broke my heart, she would follow me around and help me weed, she was my girl.

Back
Top Bottom