Erratic laying since last molt

millietime

Songster
Jan 4, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Ok so I have been looking through these forums for months as this behavior has been on and off and nothing seems to help. This is Betty and her eggs are the huge bulbous ones in front (next to normal size xl eggs). The eggs are not double yolked, just huge. I got her about a year ago and was told she was maybe 1.5 yrs. She was one of my first hens so I am pretty new at this. Last summer she layed almost everyday like clock work. Last fall she molted and winter I had to deworm the flock. Since then she lays about half her eggs soft and half are bulbousy with shell but will have weak spots. She lays maybe 3 per week now. I feed eggshell and oyster shell. I just checked her vent again and it looks normal. She eats and drinks normally. She is kind of the bully in the flock (always has been).

The tab at the base of her tail is caked with dirt so I am going to bathe her in the morning when it is warm. On a side note she is generally filthy as she does not dust bathe like the other birds, she rolls in it like a dog or cat rubbing into something. No mites, no lice, no fleas that I can find.

I bring this up because I have noticed that her behavior such as the rubbing in dirt has gotten stranger over the past few months also. She will sleep walk and get up making chattering noises after they go to bed. A lot of times this is when she has a soft egg but not always.

Any thoughts? I am starting to wonder if she is a lot older than I had thought and if this could have something to do with aging. Or recently I heard ovarian cancer? No vets that I have been able to find here but I just posted on another forum to see if anyone on byc knows of a vet in my area.

She hunches down and is extra irritable when laying a soft egg. Otherwise she does not act sick or in pain.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    415.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 4
Overly large eggs and wrinkled egg shells are an indication of a disease in a hens' reproductive track. So is laying multiple soft shelled eggs.

I don't understand what you mean when you wrote ".... the tab at the base of her tail..." unless you mean her oil gland otherwise known as her "Pope's nose"

Overly large eggs and wrinkled egg shells are an indication of a disease in a hens' reproductive track. So is laying multiple soft shelled eggs.

I don't understand what you mean when you wrote ".... the tab at the base of her tail..." unless you mean her oil gland otherwise known as her "Pope's nose"

Thanks yes but oil gland is what I was referring to. I mentioned that because it was only thing out of sorts when I inspected her physically again before posting.

What do you feed?.....Possibly she is not consuming enough calcium....
The Popes nose is not the oil gland, its the Chickens tail....:frow

Thanks for clarifying the popes nose.

I have oyster shell and crushed egg shell on the side which I see her eat. So I know she consumed it. Which makes me wonder if she has trouble absorbing the calcium into her system.

Feed is organic pellets, whole grains for scratch, greens/fruit for treats, acv and in the water probably every other week.

Thanks for your input!

Are you feeding spinach at all?....That actually prevents their body from absorbing calcium.....
That is really good to know. Mostly lettuce, sorrel, and kale for the greens since that is what I have growing. Or left overs which sometimes has spinach but not regularly. I was just looking up veggies that help with calcium absorption and thinking I might up the spinach and dark greens so I am glad you said something!!

What is the protein percentage of the pellets?
I'd cut back on everything but the pellets for a couple weeks.
She may be lacking in vitamins/mineral/amino acids necessary for calcium absorption.

Pope's nose...funny.....never heard that one before:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pygostyle

I just know popes nose because that is my moms favorite part of the bird and that's what she'd call it...

Pellets are 16% protein. Maybe add a vitamin supplement in the water? Most of what she eats are the pellets.

Back
Top Bottom