especially friendly chicken breeds

thanks!! which of those are common? I mean, amoung places that sell them through catalogs or other hatcheries?

my vote is for Cochins (full size partridge cochin rooster in my avatar) and Brahmas...both can be found at any hatchery....very gentle..and Salmon Faverolles, also a very friendly one..

Buff Orpingtons are very common, as are Barred Plymouth Rock. Two of mine are friendly as well. I have one friendly Light Brahma out of three. These are my first chickens, so...not coming for a wealth of experience here, just observation of a very small focus group. Good luck!

If you want a chicken that does not scare easily I would buy a dual purpose breed. Heavier birds tend to be less flighty and you will get plenty of eggs.

I concur with all of the other breeds mentioned but I also found Wyandottes to be really friendly. I had one 2 week old chick jump out of the brooder and leave his broodermates to come looking for me. I found oriental gamefowl to be the least friendly unless you spend time with them when they are young (which is mandatory anyway). Then they will become fiercely loyal and will want to be by your side every minute.

greeneggs444

Your question what does ee stand for -- it refers to 'easter eggers' which are birds that have the 'blue egg gene' and could lay blue or green (or other color) eggs for you. Reputed to be friendly.

Golden comet - very friendly and hardy and highly productive. I have also heard that 'Black Star' also called 'Black Beauty' and Black Sex-link - all the same bird are friendly.

Common and calm and favorites with loads of people are Barred Plymouth Rock. I think someone said they are the chickens your grandmother always had. (Providing of course your grandmother had chickens)

Buff orpingtons! They are extremely friendly, good layers, great moms, and beautiful and fluffy!!
big_smile.png
Here's some of mine:
86025_158.jpg

86025_160.jpg

86025_139.jpg

86025_127.jpg

86025_058.jpg

86025_271.jpg

Sorry about so many pics but I would really like this breed!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom