Established hens accepting young rooster

2 Russo Chicks

Songster
6 Years
Jan 28, 2016
Cookeville, TN
we have a young rooster that we are wanting to keep and re- home the established rooster and his other rooster off spring, but the hens chase him around. Will they eventually accept him for mating and etc?

Is he sexually mature? Once my young cockerel reached maturity he just naturally picked up the reins as flock leader. And he is part Bantam and 1/3 the size of some of the hens in this particular flock.

I put a newly bought young rooster into my established laying flock about two and a half weeks ago. The rooster is Bantam-sized and smaller than all the hens and the pullets. The mans who sold him said vaguely he was about a year old, but actually he looks and "feels" younger than that - I would estimate (without being an expert in that) that he's about 7- 8 months old. Anyway, during his first week, the hens all pushed him around and drove him away from the food. I was seriously worried that he wouldn't get enough to eat. He also was roosting alone, apart from the others.Then, in his second week here, he suddenly began getting his act together: Now he pecks all the hens away and has put himself on top of the pecking order. On the one hand, I guess that's good, but on the other hand, he's right now behaving like a complete egotist who doesn't care in the slightest for the hens' well-being and is just interested in stuffing his face as much as possible. I hope that this will still change and improve with time. Haven't seen him mating yet, but then I'm not watching for most of the day.

we have a young rooster that we are wanting to keep and re- home the established rooster and his other rooster off spring, but the hens chase him around. Will they eventually accept him for mating and etc?
Probably....
.....but it will take time and not even begin to happen until the other males are gone and he is 'of age'.
How old is he?

Sorry for delay in responding, he is only About 8 months old just started crowing and is really ticking off the established rooster (his father). He tries to mate with the girls but they chase him away. He is gorgeous though.

Back
Top Bottom