Eureka California Earthquake ....

Cetawin

Rest in Peace 1963-2021
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
Are all Cali and Southern Oregon BYCers okay? We were rocking and rolling here in Southern Oregon but not real damage. Check in and let us know all is well.

I have not heard any reported damage yet. It was a good one!!! 6.5 is pretty big! But the news people are not busting in the broadcasts with updates so that is good. We here in CA kinda roll with it. It pretty normal for us.

Quote:
Probably not - I am way north of that and didn't get a jingle.

Dana point is on the pacific, so no jiggle there, a few nice beaches though, does he surf?

My second husband proposed there during a gorgious beach sunset.

A 6.5 usually doesn't cause much damage in areas with decent seismic codes for buildings, etc. Nonetheless, I hope everyone was ok!!

Have ya'll read the USGS summary? It's in a really tectonically interesting place! It had strike-slip motion (sliding past one another instead of over or under one another), so there wasn't any threat of a tsunami (which requires some form of vertical displacement of the sea floor).

If you get a chance, go to Google Earth and check out the sea floor deformation. It is really easy to see (you can recognize it with absolutely zero geology background!).

Tectonics and Seismology are so fascinating!
wee.gif

edited to add...if you click on the maps tab in USGS, you can open the KML file in google earth. INTERESTING!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
10% chance of aftershocks... and perhaps some greater.

I woke up out of the blue 10 mintues ago with an uneasy feeling. I hate when that happens.

Back
Top Bottom