Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

That was my original guess! Hopefully they'll be decent little layers :) Thank you for your patience with my ignorance ha ha

Crosses often make great layers. They are very pretty!
I seem to remember there was a hatchery that was offering birds that looked like this... I can see the magazine photo in my mind's eye, but can't remember the company. They caught my eye because they were very similar.

Hmmm...that is interesting! Perhaps they came from a hatchery or someone was doing a similar cross as you saw in their backyard. I thought it was interesting that they all looked the exact same! Anyways, the Basque breed is quite gorgeous! Glad I discovered that there is a real breed that looks like my mixes...maybe I will get some one year!

That was my original guess! Hopefully they'll be decent little layers :) Thank you for your patience with my ignorance ha ha

Crosses often make great layers. They are very pretty!
I seem to remember there was a hatchery that was offering birds that looked like this... I can see the magazine photo in my mind's eye, but can't remember the company. They caught my eye because they were very similar.

I would guess a type of Rock too. maybe a silver penciled rock.

Thank you for all the great info everyone. I have been working on my Basque for two years now. They are an amazing breed
love.gif

This big boy follows me around like a dog wanting to be picked up and scratched. He is from Greenfire. I have been culling white legs, white wing and tail feathers, but is the mille fluer going to be out in the standard? I really do like that pattern on the hens :)

Thank you for all the great info everyone. I have been working on my Basque for two years now. They are an amazing breed
love.gif

This big boy follows me around like a dog wanting to be picked up and scratched. He is from Greenfire. I have been culling white legs, white wing and tail feathers, but is the mille fluer going to be out in the standard? I really do like that pattern on the hens :)

You have done an amazing job!

love.gif

I got EO's for their utilities (eggs & meat). Most important to me is the size and frame of the birds right now; next will be production. Like you I have got critical on the leg color and white feathers, but other than that I have very few color requirements for my keepers. Blonde, Deer, Mille Fluer, Marraduna, etc. are all acceptable to me. I also have been hatching all of my EO keepers under broody hens as opposed to incubators like I do for my other breeds (the incubator allows me to track who the mother is, but I don't care on the EO's). EO's are my for fun flock and I have enjoyed being able to treat them like a traditional homestead flock and not worrying about color standards.

If you want to work with other on the breed, then you will need to breed to a color standard that other are working on. If you just want a utility breed and plan to keep a the flock for your own use, any color goes. I think that if you get the mille fluer color standard from another breed's SOP and work towards it you will find other people that are willing to work toward the same goal. If you want to keep a multicolor flock and only work on utilities I think that you will find others like me you are willing to work in that dirrection. Most people are working to the Marraduna color standard. If you want to work to a color standard and to benefit from the work that others are doing when you bring in new blood, the Maraduna color standard would be the best choice to work on.

After much deliberation I have decided to stop working with the Basque and will be selling most of my flock (except for a couple of my favorite pullets). I have the foundation quad available and will be setting up a trio of my latest generation youngsters. I'm NPIP AI clean bit will not be shipping these birds. Will have them at Gilmanor. If interested and located in Virginia or able to pick up please send a PM.

Have a question about chick color. I have gotten all my stock from different sources. This is one of my favorite breeds and I'm eager to expand my pen this year.

Currently I have 1 rooster and 8 hens. Yesterday was the first time I've hatched any since last fall. I got 2 that were a funky color. I know that 1 of my new hens is the darker creole color and the rest are the reddish/tri-color. Do they all hatch yellow? Do I have a hen that isn't a "real" EO in my pen?

Back
Top Bottom