Euthanasia

Benzodiazepines?
Very good point.

Benzo overdoses result in confusion, drowsiness, lack of coordination/balance, lightheadedness, muscle weakness, memory loss, fainting, slowed heartrate, difficulty breathing, and shallow breaths. Death is the result of paralysis of the diaphragm or heart.

These symptoms seem like the animal would (hopefully) be unconscious by the time of death, and it doesn't seem to result in any particularly painful symptoms. Unfortunately I'm not sure what the side effects may be in non-human animals like birds.

So just wondering, where do firearms fall in this debate? We use a .22 for processing and if the bird is an adult but needs to be put down. Wouldn't an air rifle/pellet gun work as well at close range (serious question, I'm not the gun person at all in this family)? I don't think it can get faster than a shot to the head.

So just wondering, where do firearms fall in this debate? We use a .22 for processing and if the bird is an adult but needs to be put down. Wouldn't an air rifle/pellet gun work as well at close range (serious question, I'm not the gun person at all in this family)? I don't think it can get faster than a shot to the head.
Oh, definitely.

We use a .22 long when needed.

Airsoft/pellets likely wouldn't penetrate the skull, so I don't recommend them.

Complete destruction of the brain is the most immediate way to euthanize. The cervical dislocation method is just better depending on area, since a lot of people live in urban/city areas and would get in trouble for firing a gun within city limits.

So if you wanna calm your bird before you shoot it in the head (with a 22) or whatevs... you could maybe use a benzodiazepine.

Maybe.

But don't give it a lethal dose of an opiate.

Is that where we're at in this thread?

So if you wanna calm your bird before you shoot it in the head (with a 22) or whatevs... you could maybe use a benzodiazepine.

Maybe.

But don't give it a lethal dose of an opiate.

Is that where we're at in this thread?
Yes, because complete destruction of the brain is immediate and painless, unlike suffering through seizures and asphyxiation for possibly hours on end before the major overdose of narcotics kills the bird.

I use a .117 pellet rifle to dispatch animals all the time. It will indeed do the job cleanly and fast. I wouldn't suggest it for large animals but I've put down coyotes, coons, and possums with it. I wouldn't have an issue suggesting it for a chicken.
That's good to know! We've always used the .22 -- the only experience I have with pellets is a cat that was riddled with them. She was shot in the head three times, but they just mangled her face up and took one of her eyes. None of them managed to kill.

Back
Top Bottom