Ever eat a tumor bird?

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
Ok, so our rooster has issues, probably a tumor. I've checked it a couple times....it's a big hump on it's back. It's growing, and at some point soon I'm probably going to put it down, when it shows signs of causing him issues. Anyway, should it be a total loss? Is there a problem with eating a roo that has a tumor on it's back? I really feel stupid asking this question, LOL...

Also, if not us, how about my dog? We feed her the raw diet. I'd probably freeze the meat for a couple weeks first...is there any reason to believe there would be an issue feeding it to her?

Obviously I wouldn't be feeding or eating the actual tumor
lol.png
and would also not feed meat that looked like the tumor had spread into. But the rest of it?

I don't know that there is anyyhing wrong with eating it, but me personally I wouldn't.
It jsut gross thinking about eating it. I'd feed it to my dog though.

I wouldn't eat it OR feed it to my dog. It would defeat the whole idea of the health benefits of the raw diet. That is why most dry kibble brands are such garbage. Ingredients like euthanized animals or animals that died of a sickness. Yuck! It would be more of a waste to pay heavy vet bills for your dog than to just humanely "do in" the rooster...just the humble opinion of someone that worked in a small animal practice.
smile.png

I wouldn't feed raw but if the tumor is cut out and the meat cooked what damage could it cause?

Cooked cancerous meat won't give you cancer.

Quote:
So what you're saying is that feeding a bird that died from a tumor would pass the cancer to the dog eating it...hence the "heavy vet bill" comment?

Wondering if the meat from that chicken is any worse than the meat you buy at the store filled with hormones and who knows what else. Unless of course you are swimming in meat birds, pigs, cows, or money to buy organic that is...

Quote:
But it can give you other sickness. Even so, I am not a fan of cleaning up vomit/diarrhea. Why chance it. I wouldn't feed it to my kids therefore I wouldn't feed it to my fur-kids.
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
But it can give you other sickness. Even so, I am not a fan of cleaning up vomit/diarrhea. Why chance it. I wouldn't feed it to my kids therefore I wouldn't feed it to my fur-kids.
sickbyc.gif

As I said, I'd cut out the tumor. But, for the sake of knowing...what other sickness would it cause?

Back
Top Bottom