1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ever eat a tumor bird?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Jeffross1968, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Ok, so our rooster has issues, probably a tumor. I've checked it a couple times....it's a big hump on it's back. It's growing, and at some point soon I'm probably going to put it down, when it shows signs of causing him issues. Anyway, should it be a total loss? Is there a problem with eating a roo that has a tumor on it's back? I really feel stupid asking this question, LOL...

Also, if not us, how about my dog? We feed her the raw diet. I'd probably freeze the meat for a couple weeks first...is there any reason to believe there would be an issue feeding it to her?

Obviously I wouldn't be feeding or eating the actual tumor [​IMG] and would also not feed meat that looked like the tumor had spread into. But the rest of it?

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I don't know that there is anyyhing wrong with eating it, but me personally I wouldn't.
    It jsut gross thinking about eating it. I'd feed it to my dog though.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    No, I would not eat a bird with a tumor.

4. Blue Ninja

Blue Ninja Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    I wouldn't eat it OR feed it to my dog. It would defeat the whole idea of the health benefits of the raw diet. That is why most dry kibble brands are such garbage. Ingredients like euthanized animals or animals that died of a sickness. Yuck! It would be more of a waste to pay heavy vet bills for your dog than to just humanely "do in" the rooster...just the humble opinion of someone that worked in a small animal practice. [​IMG]

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    No, I never have and I wouldn't eat it. [​IMG]

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I wouldn't feed raw but if the tumor is cut out and the meat cooked what damage could it cause?

Cooked cancerous meat won't give you cancer.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The image that just conjured up is not pretty. I might feed it to the hogs, or I might burn it. Depends on what the tumor looked like when I dissected it.... I mean... I would HAVE to look lol!

8. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:So what you're saying is that feeding a bird that died from a tumor would pass the cancer to the dog eating it...hence the "heavy vet bill" comment?

Wondering if the meat from that chicken is any worse than the meat you buy at the store filled with hormones and who knows what else. Unless of course you are swimming in meat birds, pigs, cows, or money to buy organic that is...

9. Blue Ninja

Blue Ninja Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:But it can give you other sickness. Even so, I am not a fan of cleaning up vomit/diarrhea. Why chance it. I wouldn't feed it to my kids therefore I wouldn't feed it to my fur-kids.[​IMG]

10. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:But it can give you other sickness. Even so, I am not a fan of cleaning up vomit/diarrhea. Why chance it. I wouldn't feed it to my kids therefore I wouldn't feed it to my fur-kids.[​IMG]

As I said, I'd cut out the tumor. But, for the sake of knowing...what other sickness would it cause?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by