Ever eat a tumor bird?

Quote:
But it can give you other sickness. Even so, I am not a fan of cleaning up vomit/diarrhea. Why chance it. I wouldn't feed it to my kids therefore I wouldn't feed it to my fur-kids.
sickbyc.gif

As I said, I'd cut out the tumor. But, for the sake of knowing...what other sickness would it cause?

Who knows? As for me, I wouldn't risk it...especially not 'raw'

Quote:
So what you're saying is that feeding a bird that died from a tumor would pass the cancer to the dog eating it...hence the "heavy vet bill" comment?

Wondering if the meat from that chicken is any worse than the meat you buy at the store filled with hormones and who knows what else. Unless of course you are swimming in meat birds, pigs, cows, or money to buy organic that is...

Agreed.
I wouldn't suggest consuming anything raw that is questionable regarding bacteria, molds, etc.
But anything you eat is digested. The base nutritional constituents are reformulated to make the body's building blocks.
Consuming rhinocerous horn doesn't impart libido or any other magic, it is just hair and as such is mostly protein so if consumed (I don't recommend it from a conservation point of view) is broken down into protein and becomes part of your protein intake the body makes blood, muscle and other cells with.

I would say this: NO I wouldn't eat it or feed it to my pets...Why? BECAUSE: people with cancer often are seen sick with ALL OTHER kinds of diseases - cancer weakens the immune system...so...while you can't catch cancer by holding hands or sitting on the same seat on the bus as someone with it...MAYBE, just MAYBE if that chicken should happen to get sick with anything else bacterial or viral, you wouldn't want to pass THAT on to the dogs or people...

Also...keep in mind...it could just be a benign growth, grows, maybe even STOPS GROWING...and you have a wompy chicken with a lump, but one that lives and does just fine...you never know...I have such a benign lump on my wrist...biopsy says it ain't gonna kill me, it quit growing, and doesn't affect mobility...so there said lump stays...what IF your chicken has something like that? You may not even have a thing to worry about then!

I wouldn't eat it. I have no idea what kind of illness it might cause me to eat a roo like that, but not knowing the cause of the tumor, I wouldn't chance it.

Personally, I would not eat it. It most likely would not harm you though. You would not be at risk of "catching cancer". The bird's immune system would be compromised so secondary infections could be present (i.e. pneumonia). Boiling would kill that though.

My big concern would be that the bird has an abcess aka boil most often caused by staph or occasionally strep. Some strains of strep do not respond to antibiotics. Just handling it could be a serious risk to your (and your dog's) health. This is what would be the deciding factor for me. It just isn't worth the risk.

I can appreciate where you're coming from with not wanting to waste something, but I would also pass on the meat for both.

I read that Mareks disease will cause tumors. In vaccinated birds they don't get the tumors; but can still have the disease and be a carrier. I'd have it tested to be sure. And definitely I would not eat it.

Pretty obvious that the general consensus is not to eat it. We had sat outside watching him these last couple weeks as the "tumor" or whatever it is grows. Just in the last 2 days we've noticed that he now has a skip in his step, especially when he tries to run. It's the first sign that whatever it is, may just be having an effect on his daily life now. So we've begun considering what to do.

Of course, on a bird that's been so good to the flock, who we've raised since his first month, the desire to not want to waste him is strong. But there is certainly nothing in me that would want to risk my health, or the health of my dog, so I appreciate all the responses.

Back
Top Bottom