Ever watch what your hen does right after she lays an egg

WickedChicksNH

Crowing
Oct 2, 2017
New Hampshire
Sally my NH red is almost 4 years old and my very first chicken
Shes always been a great layer.
Today was the first time I actually seen her lay her egg.

She has never been broody or even attempted to sit on her eggs. She used to like to lay them for my cochin batam luna who was a huge broody hen

Anyway, after she laid she stood over it and moved it around, like a hen would do if she was trying to hatch eggs.
I know she is probably not preparing to hatch any eggs

But is that what they normally do move it around even if they aren't planning on sitting on it?

They are all different. Some lay and sit there for a while, some cover it, and themselves with bits of bedding.

Going broody has been bred out of many hens but the other instincts that go with reproduction still exist.

Almost all chicken instincts have to do with their own survival and the survival of their offspring whether they ever have any or not.

I've seen layers literally drop the egg and shoot right out of the nest box immediately after. Others will roll the egg around and back under themselves, then step out. Some are loungers instead, just hanging out and thinking about life, the universe, and everything.
:lol:

Well haven't seen any shoot out of the nesting box yet rofl

Her and my golden laced wyandotte dont always lay in the same spot
Sometimes it's in the dog crate I have or the nesting boxes I made from rubbermaid bins

I found 3 of Mazies behind a board I have holding up the hay, she made a nest in the hay

One time for awhile there wasnt any eggs
Then I noticed like 6 just sitting on your floor :hmm

Back
Top Bottom