Everyone Post Your Pigeon Pics!!!!!

A few posts back I was asked which one was named Nuts. This is him.

The brown Mookie is Fawn, his daughter.

I know pigeons have excellent eyesight during the day. What is their eyesight like at night?
Not very good from watching mine.

If they get disturbed at night they will fly and miss the perches as they try to land... usually they will fly at the mesh and climb up onto the perches if they get pushed of their perch at night by another bird.

I know pigeons have excellent eyesight during the day. What is their eyesight like at night? There is no challenge to great for these amazing birds.
Veterans of Service

When the pigeon service was discontinued in 1957, 15 pigeons designated as heroes were donated to zoos to live out their lives, and the rest were sold to the public. People reportedly came from all over the country to the pigeon service's home at Fort Monmouth, N.J., and waited for hours for the chance to buy one. Purchasers were reminded of the difficulty of retraining a pigeon to a new home, and told that if their pigeons returned to Fort Monmouth, they'd have to pay for the return shipping — just one last tribute to what the pigeoneers achieve

With this positive approach, the pigeons were trained to perform remarkable feats, sometimes at odds with their natural tendencies. One was flying at night. "The German snipers were looking for the birds — they would shoot them down," says Croseri. Night flying made it harder for snipers, but for a daytime bird like the pigeon, it's quite unnatural. The pigeoneers made it possible by training the birds to a route during the day and then patiently retraining the same route at night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom