Everyone Post Your Pigeon Pics!!!!!

I got 25 homing pigeons a couple days ago from a lady and I put them in my pigeon coop with my few fantails and I closed off there little door they can fly in and out of to free range so the homers wouldn't leave. I've wanted homers for a long time and I was only trying to get a few but she wanted to get rid of all of them and would't sell a few so I went ahead and got them all. I was wondering if they would have to be prisoners forever or if they would be fine once they have squabs or what? All of them are banded expect one or two I seen don't so I'm guessing they are younger. Her husband passed away so she was getting rid of them. I'm just wondering if/when I could open the door back up for them to fly and free range or even if I could. Or would I have to keep there babies because they might fly back to there old house? These are my first homers so would like to know about owning older homers, thanks!

Last edited:
So the littler one without a band would most likely be fine.

Little one should bond in about a month is my estimation.
Let your new birds view their out side surroundings from a aviary or wire cage as much as possible.
When first releasing your new birds take food away from them for at least 12 hours. Release solitary birds with there mates confined in the loft.
I would not release a older homer for at least 6 months.
This is my experience trying to bond Belgium homers to my loft.
Even with all my efforts I had one homer I purchased return to it's original loft (100 miles away) in less than two hours where he remains today.
It is not a perfect world.

Last edited:

THis is my new pigeon that I rescued from a park that was hanging around for more than a week at the maintenance shop. I put it in a 8'x8' flight pen with an inside loft from a previously chicken coop. I would love to put get it a friend or friends, like some white homers. Another breeder told me it might be a roller hen. What do you think? It has no band, but it does come within a foot of my feet when feeding. I'm looking for some whites to go with her west of the Atlanta area

Here are some of my homers
They are gorgeous! What color do you call the one in the second picture?

THis is my new pigeon that I rescued from a park that was hanging around for more than a week at the maintenance shop. I put it in a 8'x8' flight pen with an inside loft from a previously chicken coop. I would love to put get it a friend or friends, like some white homers. Another breeder told me it might be a roller hen. What do you think? It has no band, but it does come within a foot of my feet when feeding. I'm looking for some whites to go with her west of the Atlanta area
She is beautiful!
love.gif
It does look like a roller, but it might not be. You could check craigslist for pigeons in your area.

This is Pedro - he needed a home and our first rescued dove needed some company.
Pedro is a proper character, he even hangs around with our ducks (caught him in the pond with them on his second day with us!)

This is our first called Forest.
He had head trauma and had been licked bald in several places by a cat!
He's non releasable as he has no fear of cats, doesn't see too well out of one eye, and seems to have occasional seizures where he gets all spaced out for a time.
He is a lovely little fella though :)

Back
Top Bottom