Everything Asil Thread ( show off those Asil )

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Aug 3, 2011.

1. SD_Paulo

SD_Paulo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    SOCAL
    Good recommendation Saladin...

But what about all those US bred "Thais, Brazilians, Ganoi"???....Joking ;-)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  2. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    All this time living in the Modesto area, id never known of any old asil lines here, or anything good here (were ranked Americas worst city). Only thing I ever saw were American games (my uncle and another local did well with them back in the day).

3. galloasil

galloasil Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2013
    Thanks for you input, Saladin. I am aware of the term "Asil" and have read quite a bit about the breed. When I bought these chickens, the owner did mention that they were Asil. He breeds Asil/Shamo. The doubt with me began after reading about the Asil online and getting confused with all the similar fowl that can be found, which is why I posted my questions on this site. I'm a dog person and can usually tell what breed a dog is by its silhouette....I just thought maybe someone on this site could do the same with chickens.

4. SD_Paulo

Nov 1, 2011
    SOCAL
    Cuba~ Some of the best Asil's of yesterday, and still today came out of the Central Coast area. Most of the old timers are gone so are their fowl but there are a few hanging on! I hope to acquire, and preserve some of the old CALIFORNIA lines. At least that is one of my goals. [​IMG]

5. SD_Paulo

Nov 1, 2011
    SOCAL
    I believe, Saladin was trying to be nice in saying they do not convincingly lean one way or the other. What kind of Shamo and/or Asil's did this person tell you he raised?

6. galloasil

Dec 21, 2013
    He didn't say, SD_Paulo. He was adamant about not crossbreeding and keeping them pure, which is why I bought a few. I'm hoping to buy more so that I can breed them as a hobby. I call the rooster Pattaya, which is what the original owner called him.

7. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Please understand that Asil is a broad category with many different weights and sizes. There is a 'basic' look to them all, but even here there are difference.

Based on the pictures, the females appear to have heads that are too narrow; however, that may just be due to the breeder's selection (likes/dislikes) or it may be that way in that particular strain. Here are some basic drawings that should help you out:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. galloasil

Dec 21, 2013
    Thanks for sharing those drawings, Saladin, they were very helpful. You're right about my hens, their faces are much too narrow to be Asil. They look more like the Shamo drawings. The head of an Aseel is much more round and they have shorter beaks.

9. SD_Paulo

Nov 1, 2011
    SOCAL
    [​IMG]

Asil Pakistani

[​IMG]

Asil Reza (South American Blood)

[​IMG]

Shamo pullet and hen. ***Notice the difference in head development between pullet and hen. Mature Shamo heads should not look like the sketches provided! Those would be poor examples of Shamo in my opinion.

[​IMG]
    O Shamo Pair.

[​IMG]

Another beautiful Shamo hen. Owned by S. Chung. ***Notice the head again.

10. alibaba

alibaba Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2012
    today's morning all eggs was hatched of my asil hen and oriental stag, all six eggs was successfully hatched. they all are looks so beautiful but they are very small in size. pictures attached of all chicks and parents.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by