Everything Asil Thread ( show off those Asil )

Pics
Actually, the very definition of the word Asil means 'purity' as in reference to their breeding. Though they may be Asil-like if you do not know their breeding then by definition they are not Asil.

They are definitely not Malay.

If you do not know their breeding then really the best you can say is that they are simply Orientals.

Good recommendation Saladin...

But what about all those US bred "Thais, Brazilians, Ganoi"???....Joking ;-)

Last edited:
Cuba~ How I wish it was!

Both are from the California's Asil Mecca...the Central Coast. This black line was refined in the Modesto area. The Scotts Valley, Asil was refined and purchased out of beautiful Scotts Valley by my friend Mr. Ross and his old partner..Both very good and capable underground California Asil's. Both well known in those old time underground circles to match up extremely well with the brand named Asils, when they were shown in the literally big money underground circuits through out the central coast.

This is an original Scotts Valley:

All this time living in the Modesto area, id never known of any old asil lines here, or anything good here (were ranked Americas worst city). Only thing I ever saw were American games (my uncle and another local did well with them back in the day).

Thanks for you input, Saladin. I am aware of the term "Asil" and have read quite a bit about the breed. When I bought these chickens, the owner did mention that they were Asil. He breeds Asil/Shamo. The doubt with me began after reading about the Asil online and getting confused with all the similar fowl that can be found, which is why I posted my questions on this site. I'm a dog person and can usually tell what breed a dog is by its silhouette....I just thought maybe someone on this site could do the same with chickens.

Cuba~ Some of the best Asil's of yesterday, and still today came out of the Central Coast area. Most of the old timers are gone so are their fowl but there are a few hanging on! I hope to acquire, and preserve some of the old CALIFORNIA lines. At least that is one of my goals.
smile.png

Thanks for you input, Saladin. I am aware of the term "Asil" and have read quite a bit about the breed. When I bought these chickens, the owner did mention that they were Asil. He breeds Asil/Shamo. The doubt with me began after reading about the Asil online and getting confused with all the similar fowl that can be found, which is why I posted my questions on this site. I'm a dog person and can usually tell what breed a dog is by its silhouette....I just thought maybe someone on this site could do the same with chickens.

I believe, Saladin was trying to be nice in saying they do not convincingly lean one way or the other. What kind of Shamo and/or Asil's did this person tell you he raised?

He didn't say, SD_Paulo. He was adamant about not crossbreeding and keeping them pure, which is why I bought a few. I'm hoping to buy more so that I can breed them as a hobby. I call the rooster Pattaya, which is what the original owner called him.

Please understand that Asil is a broad category with many different weights and sizes. There is a 'basic' look to them all, but even here there are difference.

Based on the pictures, the females appear to have heads that are too narrow; however, that may just be due to the breeder's selection (likes/dislikes) or it may be that way in that particular strain. Here are some basic drawings that should help you out:

Thanks for sharing those drawings, Saladin, they were very helpful. You're right about my hens, their faces are much too narrow to be Asil. They look more like the Shamo drawings. The head of an Aseel is much more round and they have shorter beaks.

Asil Pakistani

Asil Reza (South American Blood)

Shamo pullet and hen. ***Notice the difference in head development between pullet and hen. Mature Shamo heads should not look like the sketches provided! Those would be poor examples of Shamo in my opinion.

O Shamo Pair.

Another beautiful Shamo hen. Owned by S. Chung. ***Notice the head again.

Back
Top Bottom