Everything Asil Thread ( show off those Asil )

Pics
A lot of Asil don't do well raised like other chickens. They need to be raised by a hen. The hen keeps them in line and keeps the pecking order battles from getting too serious. Most people are probably going to sell Asil a little older, once they have had a chance to see them develop a little and make their own picks. They aren't really a breed that is easy to mass proiduce, the hens only lay so many eggs before they go broody, the chicks don't do as good without a hen, and it's kind of hard to house a whole lot of hens. So most people are going to start with a limited number, and then they are going to want to pick out their own replacements, from those.

There are hatcheries with Asil. I don't know how their birds are bred, but if I was a hatchery and offered the Asils that I have as day old chicks, I don't think it would work well. First, I would have to have a jillion hens in order to make sure and have one that was laying at any given time. I would have to charge a fortune. Then, if I shoved them in a box with enough other chicks to keep them warm, I don't think the other chicks would arrive without damage. Imagine a baby veloci-raptor, and you will have a pretty good idea what I'm describing.

If you had a hen to put them under, some hatching eggs might work better for you than chicks.

good answer varidgerunner. I have yet to incubate an asil egg. I need to hurry up and make my selections before these heathens get serious. already lost one to broken neck

I have incubated asil eggs before and they are totally different than other chickens I had some American game chicks that hatched with them and by one week I had to separate them for the Americans sake and I lost two out of the 7 that I hatched due to fighting

They do better with a hen to keep them in line. They are going to set their pecking order like anything else, but asil don't know when to quit, hen will make them quit before it gets too serious. When she gets ready to start another brood she turns on them a little. Then they have another little skirmish or two after you take her out and then they are OK. For like, a couple weeks. Then you have to start penning them.

I find they can free-range together for some time, up to maybe five or more months at times, before needing to be separated, especially with a mature cock around. The biggest problem is when they are fledged chicks and are initially setting the pecking order, they don't know when to stop and can do considerable damage before one decides to give up. This last time around, they started in the pen, I allowed them to free-range and kept breaking them up and stressing them out when they'd start their skirmishes and I think it caused the one who would have eventually ran to run sooner, they are all running around peacefully now, for a few more months at least. I'll see if I can duplicate that, despite being inconvenient, it's better than having to single-pen a bunch of quail sized birds.

Back
Top Bottom