Everything is swollen

SilkieLady608

Chirping
Jul 10, 2018
My silkies head is swollen. I thought at first she had an eye infection but her whole head is swollen and even inside her mouth, I can't see the indition in the roof of her mouth. So I'm thinking she maybe got bit by a bug maybe a fire ant and is having a allergic reaction. She was beginning to have a hard time breathing. I have given her 0.5 ml of benadryl and waited an hour with no noticeable difference, so I gave her another 0.5 ml of benadryl and there is no difference. What should I try next? Am I giving her enough benadryl? Please help. Thank you

Attachments

• 20210727_151408.jpg
    20210727_151408.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210727_151418.jpg
    20210727_151418.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 13
She has bubbles in both eyes and sticky yellow drainage from the left eye. Is she sneezing, having labored breathing, or crackles when she breathes? I would wonder if she has mycoplasma (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease that causes sinus infection. They get it from other birds, and can show symptoms within 6-10 days or longer. Tylosin, denagard, and several other antibiotics can treat symptoms, but not cure it. She may need to be helped to eat and drink while she cannot see well.

She does have labored breathing. But we haven't had any new chickens in over a year and she is the only one that looks this way.

On hand I have corid and vetericyn spray. Can that help at all. I won't be able to get her anything else until tomorrow

They can get it from wild birds eating and drinking from the chicken area, and we can carry it on our shoes, clothing, and hands from other chickens and feed stores. Chickens can also be non-symptomatic carriers, and one day during a period of stress, can come down with symptoms. Testing would be the best way to confirm a diagnosis. You can ask your vet, your NPIP rep in your state, the state vet office, or a commercial lab about testing. Corid only treats coccidiosis, and vetericyn is a wound spray.

Unfortunately she hasn't gotten any better. I haven't had the opportunity to take her to the vet. Can I give her another round of shot?
20210804_142230.jpg

Back
Top Bottom