Everything my rooster has taught me about leadership

kcan2

Free Ranging
Oct 18, 2019
MI
Some general observations:
  1. Leadership is assumed rather than bestowed. Further clarification of this statement is unnecessary as it is impossible.
  2. Following is still leading. A guiding set of principles is best governed by those who can best determine their own objective(s). Typically the hens can best determine their own objectives.
  3. Good communication of ideas is requisite to management. An idea can be deemed good or bad by those who choose to acknowledge it.
  4. Confidence can be boosted when accompanied by vigorous flapping. Often, this results in general imbalance, meant to be politely ignored by others who accidentally witnessed it.
  5. Those who lead give away the most treats in the workplace. The discovery of any, if not most, appealing treats is immediately announced and often carried to subordinates. Whether it is mealworms or pizza parties, the principle is the same.
  6. Leading is performed best when advancing the interests of others. Finding food is interesting; pretending to find food when you actually didn’t is not.
  7. A leader can still lead without followers. Even if no one is listening, there are still items of import to communicate to the world. A true leader proclaims these truths, despite lack of enthusiasm or support.
  8. Subsequently, the size of the group does not determine the effectiveness of a leader. Influence is perceived, and not always by anyone.
  9. A leader is not afraid to scratch around. Even if it’s scratching on a surface like the garage floor and produces absolutely nothing, he remains ever-hopeful of producing results.
  10. Abdication of responsibility is never an option. A real leader will not abandon their post, even when everyone else does.
Since my rooster is only a bantam, I'm sure bigger roosters must teach even bigger lessons. 🙃 Has anyone else's rooster taught them a thing or two?

Last edited:
Has anyone else's rooster taught them a thing or two?
I really like the things you've posted above. My rooster has taught me a few things:
A. Don't forget to collect eggs in the corner of the coop. Babies will mysteriously appear!
B. Some can be INCREDIBLY sweet and kind (current rooster, Eclipse) while some can be super nasty. (Neighbors rooster)
C. The hens like tidbitting, not feather ripping.

None of these are as reflective and interesting as your thoughts. These are just a few things I've picked up.

I really like the things you've posted above. My rooster has taught me a few things:
A. Don't forget to collect eggs in the corner of the coop. Babies will mysteriously appear!
B. Some can be INCREDIBLY sweet and kind (current rooster, Eclipse) while some can be super nasty. (Neighbors rooster)
C. The hens like tidbitting, not feather ripping.

None of these are as reflective and interesting as your thoughts. These are just a few things I've picked up.
All great lessons!
As for those jerk roosters, perhaps they exist in the workplace to teach us that just because a leader displays a showy tailfeather (or two), he could still end up pecking you behind your back!

Back
Top Bottom