Evil Evil Stepfather *grumbles*

Having more chickens will just ground you at your parents house.
I'm 24 and have a couple friends with the same issues. One has finally pushed herself and moved out even though she does not have a drivers license. The other (not a friend any longer) is 24 and still living at home. The best advise I can give you is to just do it. Get a job move out and get on with your life. You'll only be in your twenties once and you'll have to learn to be an adult at some point so would you rather start now or when your 30? Just do it and stop with excuses everyone has issues that they have to work with. You seem like an intelligent girl and I'm sure you can contribute alot to the world. So hop on it.

More pets will for sure ground you! I'm 22 and would have LOVED to stay home. School has taken me out of state though. Of course, my family structure isn't typical American as I'm pretty Asian and you don't normally move out till you're married. LOL

But of course, if you are still a young person, too young to have a drivers license, it doesn't hurt to live at home and save up first. Don't be like a few of my friends who left home just because and are now 10-20K in debt. Gotta plan ahead and then jump, as crawling out of debt is hard.

Why dont you have your license when you're 19 years of age?

I just dont understand kids now a days, there seems to be this epidemic of expectations. I dont know, I see more and more "adult kids" (and by that I mean over the age of 18) doing what you're doing: complaining about mom and dad not letting them do what they want, but they dont work or provide anything to the household. Uhm, then get a job and move out, and then you'll be able to do just that - what YOU want to do - sorry. Parents arent responsible for you past the age of 18, thats why the law states you are now considered an adult - its time to grow up and BE an adult..

When I was 15 I had a job, I worked all thru school, my senior year I worked 2 jobs and went to school. I graduated on a Friday and was working full time for the government Monday morning. I graduated in June - by August I had a little house of my own I rented with a friend because I didnt want to follow my parents rules either - so I did something about it. By 19 I met my husband, married, at 20 I was pregnant and at 21 had a baby! Here we are 20 years later still married, 2 kids later and all's well.

My 18 y/o thinks everything should be given to her as well - including her college education LMAO!! YEAH RIGHT! She's told nothing is "given" in life - its EARNED. I tell her if she continues with that method of thinking she'll end up like my BIL who, at nearly 50 years old - still lives with Mommy, doesnt work, hasnt worked in probably 30 years now and Mommy pays for everything!
somad.gif
WTH?!!! He's "good with it" *and by the way, guess who doesnt have HIS license either?*
roll.png
. Again, expectations and entitlement.

I just dont get it -
hu.gif
Where does that expectation and entitlement come from? We raised you and took care of you for 18 years....we gave you everything you need in life to SUCCEED and make it on your own - no one did it for us - we had to do the exact same things you kids have to do.
hmm.png

Sorry, this is just something I just dont understand when you CAN do something about it. We ALL had to make that jump from "kid" to adult and no one held our hands - regardless of whatever held us back, yes we all have things that cause us intrepidation or have barriers, but we overcome them and push forward.

Find something you enjoy doing - dont depend on a man (or your parents) to get you there - find a trade YOU enjoy (or even you may not enjoy, not everyone enjoys their jobs at first, but its the principal of earning their way) and then GO DO IT!
smile.png
Good luck to you sweetie...

Last edited:
Quote:
thumbsup.gif
....all of what she said!...AND having a mental disorder is NO excuse for not "trying" to better yourself....9/10ths of the teen kids i take in my house have some sort of mental disorder diagnosis...that dosent mean they get babied/coddled...sure, they may need meds...but..that dosent mean they cant get a job...and be a part of society. You CAN do it..IF you want to.. and if you dont..well then..just follow your parents rules...and live with it...its all up to you..
idunno.gif
...best of luck to you!..
hugs.gif
..Peace, Wendy

Sydney.

You can do whatever you want to do, don't make excuses - you'll soon believe them yourself.

Open those wings and FLY!!

celebrate.gif

Collge isn't for everyone but there are other options. Think about a trade, plumbing, electrician, heavy equipment operator, welder, auto mechanic, etc. Yes, trades are fine jobs and they pay very well!

If I had to do it again I would go into a trade, one can express a lot of creativity in these professions.

I do agree, you are an adult now and do need to make your own decisions and direct your own life. You will do quite well you'll see. There is nothing more satisfying that earning your own way. I've had paying jobs since the age of nine and put myself through college. My grades were average but were over all better in college. I did it as a matter of survival (I had no choice other than failure).

I think when people have to 'do something' to survive they find a lot more strength, more determination and thus grow more in the long run.

You just need to believe in yourself and not be afraid to move ahead!

Wow.

I guess I never realized how much of a complete and utter failure I was; I mean my father tells me every time he talks to me, but it's nice to hear it from other people too. I'm surprised my mother even allows me and my also licenseless 18 year old sister (i'll be 20 in March, she'll be 19 in July) to live under her roof; surely I should be living in a box somewhere by now! Or maybe I should be walking the many miles towards the nearest civilization on the busy highway with no shoulders? I'm sure my mother would prefer that. I'm just a waste of life anyways, so bring on the cars.

I mean it's not like I listen to my mum and stepdad, or respect them or anything... I just lay around on my butt and demand that things be handed to me, because that's the way we young people are. It doesn't matter that anytime I do get money I give it to my parents, forfeiting any money I could have saved towards driving school so that my parents can keep living in their house, or so we have food to eat, or electricty or oil.

I guess I -could- get a parent to drive me to work/college, they don't need a job! I mean, who needs to pay rent anyway? Houses are overrated. Maybe I could get my license FIRST? I'm sure my parents don't need the hundreds of dollars they'll need to spend on the eye-doctor and driving school for petty things like food!

Don't judge me people, you ain't livin' my life.

Back
Top Bottom