evil silkies?

AHappychick

Wanna-be Farmer
11 Years
Dec 16, 2008
westchester
Ok I keep seeing threads about evil silkies, can someone please explain? Are they supper friendly, mean, or lap chickens. I am not sure I am getting it, but I am starting to want one....

Ok Happy, here is short story: they steal your soul and you can no longer resist any silkie on the planet.

People post this because they LOVE silkies so much they have taken over their lives. Well, almost. I am a fan and I don't even have one yet!!!!

Evil soul stealing silkies.

silly question but do people keep them in the house? or are they just part of the flock? Some stories make them sound like they are inside with people... I am intrigued...

I really do not know the answer to this. Personally, I keep the grown ones in the barn and let them free range. Unfortunately, I have lost a few to predators. The big male silkies seem to stay out of danger, but the smaller hens are always the ones that get killed.

Silkie bird can not fly too well. They can not see all that great and they are so docile that predators seem to pick them out.

The other problem with them is that they can not get away from a big roo fast enough and end up getting in trouble with a roo that is too big for them. I have not found one dead yet, but I do discourage any bigger roo from chasing them as often as I can. They are innocent and pretty fragile. The male silkies can be mean, just like any other roo and they MUST be dealt with just like any other roo. Do not think that the roos will be OK, they need the rooster treatment just like the big boys.

The silkie roos will mate with other hens about their size. I have had some pretty interesting crosses !!

I have put mine outside in a coop more than once...and they are still in the house...the dogs have taught them that when I come home from work, they crow a greeting, cause the dogs are happily barking out greetings:lol:

I've got 3 roos and one pullet, inside, and honestly can't give the extra roo's up! They are separated so they won't terrorize my one pullet and she is such a sweetie pie! Sometimes in the middle of the night my one dog needs to go out about 3am, then those 3 roo's, especially the biggest blue roo I call Falcon thinks its time to crow out his greeting...one of the 3 doesn't crow very well compared to the other two, and when they first started to try...they sounded awesome! Like a peregrin falcon.

I'm thinking on plans to build a silkie coop since they don't like perching or flying so far, to carry out next summer. I'll have an enclosed top to bottom outside pen so no predators can get them and I'm not promising Falcon will be out w/his kind all the time...and Hawk follows every where Falcon goes, those boys need a few women of their kind!

well I gave in and got myself a pair of silkies
big_smile.png
i think I get it now.... so freaking cute!

Back
Top Bottom