Evy’s Eggventures

Dr Evy

Bird Nerd
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2021
Minnesota
Well, after years of convincing my family I finally did it. I got my own flock! I hatched my chicks and built my coop (run is still a work in progress) this spring. Of course now I am thrilled to show them off, so welcome to my flock’s thread.
Anyone and everyone is welcome to follow along as I tell you guys some of the ‘Eggventures’ of my flock.

Anyways enough talk, now I’ll introduce you to my flock, and tell you the stories of them.

Flashback to March 8th, 2023, I ordered 8 black Australorp hatching eggs off of eBay. Sketchy I know, but I couldn’t find any local to me, and that’s the breed I was set on. I started incubating and 6/8 started developing. Not too horrible, right? On day 14 one quit. Then another on day 20. And on day 21, another chick pipped into the wrong side and couldn’t break through. And on April 6th after a sleepless night and one assisted hatch I ended up with three chicks, whom I named Bean, Poppy, and Rosie.

Poppy was my personal favorite. He was so sweet and docile and he loved to perch on my shoulder. But I can’t keep the boys where I live, so he went to a nice farm.
IMG_6788.jpeg
Bean-6278.jpeg
IMG_7449.jpeg

Bean is a sweetheart too, sweet and shy.“Beanie” is the nickname she developed.
IMG_6771.jpeg
Bean 2-6406.jpeg
IMG_7336.jpeg
IMG_8384.jpeg

And then there’s Rosie, the more naughty of the three. I was convinced she was a cockerel for a good three weeks just based on how crazy she was.
70277889374__893F9436-4C91-4B1F-80D6-2F78D48059AD.jpeg
Rosie-6288.jpeg

I always find her in places she’s not supposed to be 😂
IMG_7224.jpeg

IMG_8359.jpeg

After I had such a bad hatch rate, I knew I was going to need more chicks. And lucky for me, my dad found a friend with Australorps. He gave us 6 eggs and I had a 100% hatch rate. But he couldn’t guarantee that they were purebred Australorps, because he had RIR’s too. So I got two Australorps, and four RIR x Australorp mixes.
On May 2nd, 2023, 5/6 hatched while I was at work, and the last one needed a little assistance when I got home.
IMG_7215.jpeg

Mae
He was a cockerel so he had a name change to Rusty and he went to a nice farm.
IMG_7231.jpeg

IMG_7927.jpeg

June/Juniper
I call her Junie now. She’s 100% one of my favorites. She has the cutest little random white patch on her head. She’s just the sweetest little thing.
IMG_7286.jpeg
IMG_8292.jpeg
IMG_8365.jpeg

Meadow/Chunky
Funny story with Meadow. Meadow was the fluffiest out of the chicks, so my sister started calling her Chunky, and it just kind of stuck. She is now significantly smaller than all the others, but she still holds her name. She’s also the naughtiest. She’s gone under the gate of our fenced in yard about 10 times now, and she’s also flown over the gate once. Now thankfully she’s big enough that she can’t fit.
IMG_7283.jpeg
IMG_8357.jpeg

Cricket
I don’t have much to say about her, except she doesn’t like people that much lol.
IMG_7288.jpeg
IMG_8370.jpeg

Olive
Olive was also a cockerel, so his name changed to Randy and he went to the same farm as Rusty
IMG_7284.jpeg
IMG_7921.jpeg

Penny
My prettiest little girl! She’s a sweetheart, and has been one of my favorites since she hatched
IMG_7219.jpeg
IMG_8411.jpeg
IMG_8382.jpeg

A few random pictures
IMG_8264.jpeg
IMG_7704.jpeg

They even have their own guard dog!
IMG_7697.jpeg

And now since I am the only one in my family that can tell the chickens apart my mom agreed to let me hatch a few more mystery eggs to have diversity in the flock. I got them from my aunt and took them home on an 8 1/2 hour drive.
It’s day 8 today and so far it looks like all have started developing! I think we have one or two quitters though. The dark and speckled eggs are very hard to see in, so I’m not positive that those are alive.
70991804728__13F5B21F-080B-4D91-A91D-F2DFC5A86415.jpeg
IMG_8318.jpeg

The last thing I have to say is Rosie and Bean are now almost 14 weeks old. I’m impatiently waiting for them to start laying, I bet we’ll see our first egg in the next month or two.

Anyways thanks for reading! I hope you follow along for more pictures & stories of my Eggventures!

Well, after years of convincing my family I finally did it. I got my own flock! I hatched my chicks and built my coop (run is still a work in progress) this spring. Of course now I am thrilled to show them off, so welcome to my flock’s thread.
Anyone and everyone is welcome to follow along as I tell you guys some of the ‘Eggventures’ of my flock.

Anyways enough talk, now I’ll introduce you to my flock, and tell you the stories of them.

Flashback to March 8th, 2023, I ordered 8 black Australorp hatching eggs off of eBay. Sketchy I know, but I couldn’t find any local to me, and that’s the breed I was set on. I started incubating and 6/8 started developing. Not too horrible, right? On day 14 one quit. Then another on day 20. And on day 21, another chick pipped into the wrong side and couldn’t break through. And on April 6th after a sleepless night and one assisted hatch I ended up with three chicks, whom I named Bean, Poppy, and Rosie.

Poppy was my personal favorite. He was so sweet and docile and he loved to perch on my shoulder. But I can’t keep the boys where I live, so he went to a nice farm. View attachment 3572638View attachment 3572639View attachment 3572641

Bean is a sweetheart too, sweet and shy.“Beanie” is the nickname she developed.View attachment 3572645View attachment 3572646View attachment 3572648View attachment 3572651

And then there’s Rosie, the more naughty of the three. I was convinced she was a cockerel for a good three weeks just based on how crazy she was. View attachment 3572658View attachment 3572659
I always find her in places she’s not supposed to be 😂
View attachment 3572716
View attachment 3572665

After I had such a bad hatch rate, I knew I was going to need more chicks. And lucky for me, my dad found a friend with Australorps. He gave us 6 eggs and I had a 100% hatch rate. But he couldn’t guarantee that they were purebred Australorps, because he had RIR’s too. So I got two Australorps, and four RIR x Australorp mixes.
On May 2nd, 2023, 5/6 hatched while I was at work, and the last one needed a little assistance when I got home.
View attachment 3572670

Mae
He was a cockerel so he had a name change to Rusty and he went to a nice farm.
View attachment 3572671
View attachment 3572682

June/Juniper
I call her Junie now. She’s 100% one of my favorites. She has the cutest little random white patch on her head. She’s just the sweetest little thing. View attachment 3572674View attachment 3572686View attachment 3572687

Meadow/Chunky
Funny story with Meadow. Meadow was the fluffiest out of the chicks, so my sister started calling her Chunky, and it just kind of stuck. She is now significantly smaller than all the others, but she still holds her name. She’s also the naughtiest. She’s gone under the gate of our fenced in yard about 10 times now, and she’s also flown over the gate once. Now thankfully she’s big enough that she can’t fit.View attachment 3572698View attachment 3572705

Cricket
I don’t have much to say about her, except she doesn’t like people that much lol. View attachment 3572709View attachment 3572710

Olive
Olive was also a cockerel, so his name changed to Randy and he went to the same farm as RustyView attachment 3572750View attachment 3572714

Penny
My prettiest little girl! She’s a sweetheart, and has been one of my favorites since she hatched View attachment 3572715View attachment 3572718View attachment 3572719

A few random picturesView attachment 3572723View attachment 3572727
They even have their own guard dog!View attachment 3572729

And now since I am the only one in my family that can tell the chickens apart my mom agreed to let me hatch a few more mystery eggs to have diversity in the flock. I got them from my aunt and took them home on an 8 1/2 hour drive.
It’s day 8 today and so far it looks like all have started developing! I think we have one or two quitters though. The dark and speckled eggs are very hard to see in, so I’m not positive that those are alive. View attachment 3572733View attachment 3572734

The last thing I have to say is Rosie and Bean are now almost 14 weeks old. I’m impatiently waiting for them to start laying, I bet we’ll see our first egg in the next month or two.

Anyways thanks for reading! I hope you follow along for more pictures & stories of my Eggventures!
Thanks for the tag, I'm so happy for you that you finally got to get chickens! They're so pretty. I think Penny is my favorite too.

Back
Top Bottom