Ewww

melissastraka

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Hoquiam, WA
I have to praise everyone who can raise meaties! i thought that it would be a good experiance for my kids to learn and help with their food but WOW, the smell!!!!! I am praising God that they are now outside...I was about to lose it and i mean my lunch! I brooded in my attached garage which is also a playroom for my kids. They opened the door at 7am on their way to school and made us shut it before we went to bed! They like them a lot more now that they are outside and so do i. I put them right where the wind blows to my mean neighbors house so they can get all the smell.

I give you all the credit for raising these kinds of birds...next time i may only due about 10....not 50!

My wife and I only got 20 and after a week it was time for them to go outside (per my request not my wifes). I just sent the rest of my flock to freezer camp this weekend and I would have to say I really enjoyed it. It was a lot of work but very rewarding.

the meat birds really are not that bad. One thing I noticed is if you feed them food from a mill as oppose to commercial feed they are not as smelly.

Quote:
I would be a mean neighbor too if I was made to smell my neighbor's chickens in my own yard.
smile.png

The smell isn't bad at all if you raise them in a tractor- I'm just about finished with a batch of 53, I raise them in my yard in a tractor that I move several times a day, and I rarely even get a whiff of them unless I'm right next to the tractor.

I have 15 in a truck topper with a pen. We move it every five days or so and there isn't really much dammage to the grass or bad smell. I think it's better if they are not too concentrated.

I would suggest you find out why they are so smelly and fix the problem. It would be better for all concerned, especially the neighbors. Ours have very little odor.

I don't think you have to "fix the problem"...50 in an attached garage...your right....ewwww.

I had 26 in my sun room in Feb. Even when cleaning them daily it didn't help when you opened that door in the morning...

There main mission in life is to eat poop and sleep...

Once you get them outside, you won't think of them as just being a big stinky mess...at least my thought changed about them...

Best To You!!!

Back
Top Bottom