Exact meaning of the term "coturnix quail"?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Anorakei, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Anorakei

Anorakei In the Brooder

Dec 10, 2018
    Looking up information on quail, the term "coturnix quail" comes up a lot. Originally I assumed this was referring to common quail aka coturnix coturnix as opposed to japanese quail aka coturnix japonica. However I've also seen "japanese quail" and "coturnix quail" used interchangeably, suggesting that "coturnix quail" is simply another term for "japanese quail".

Is this a case of an ambigious term being used inconsistently, or do people generally mean "japanese quail" when they say "coturnix quail"? Are common quail even kept as poultry/pets much?

le_bwah and HuffleClaw like this.
  2. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted To Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    Coturnix are usually pet quail. They can also be used for eggs and meat.

And yes, quail are just as much a part of poultry-keeping as other fowl. :)

3. le_bwah

le_bwah Songster

May 1, 2018
    Boise, ID
    My Coop
    When you hear "Coturnix", people mean Coturnix japonica. Common quail (Coturnix coturnix) are not really domesticated. The two are capable of reproducing with one another, but I'm unsure about the fertility of the offspring.

Anorakei and OhZark Biddies like this.
  4. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Crowing

Apr 13, 2018
    s. central Missouri
    My Coop
    Good question, this is what I found:

Looks like they are now considered two different species.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coturnix

Coturnix Coturnix = common quail

“Like the Japanese quail, common quails are sometimes kept as poultry”

“there are a few true breeding mutations of the Japanese quail. The breeds from the United States are: Texas A&M, English white, golden range, red range, Italian, Manchurian, Tibetan, rosetta, scarlett, roux dilute and golden tuxedo.”

5. Anorakei

Anorakei In the Brooder

Dec 10, 2018
    Thank you for your answer! That's what I suspected.

I guess that means my own "coturnix quail" are also coturnix japonica then. There's a couple of color variants in there too, which AFAIK only exist for japanese quail.

Their offspring would have to be infertile for them to be considered different species, might be how they were proven to be different species in the first place.

Tbh I haven't been able to find any examples of common quail aka coturnix coturnix being used for poultry. All poultry-related information that explicitly states the species I've seen has referenced coturnix japonica. There's no citation for that line in the Wikipedia article either, meaning it could well be incorrect.

OhZark Biddies likes this.
  6. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    Whenever I see a Latin name mentioned around coturnix quail, it's C. japonica.

7. backyard pigeons

backyard pigeons Crowing

Oct 18, 2018
    The name coturnix comes from the males call, "cot ur nix". Is this what you wanted to know?

8. backyard pigeons

backyard pigeons Crowing

Oct 18, 2018
    Oh and welcome to byc! I hope your enjoying it here!

9. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Crowing

Apr 13, 2018
    s. central Missouri
    My Coop
    Indeed... it is Wikipedia after all... so :confused:

But I suspect the common quail has been kept somewhere at some point... maybe more commonly in Europe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: