examples of a breed standard silkie?

Wow what a large silkie cockerel. Picked the chicks up today, didn’t think the adults were that much different then my previous Chinese silkie hen but they were tiny compared to her
Here's his Grandpa. I gotta get updated pictures of him.
20210106_143207.jpg
The chicks are tiny? Or the adult birds are tiny?

Here's his Grandpa. I gotta get updated pictures of him.View attachment 2941887The chicks are tiny? Or the adult birds are tiny?
Adults, they weren't too tiny but smaller than i thought, surprised that they can lay such big eggs for their size.

The chicks didn't know where to drink even though its the same looking waterer 😓. i was not sure if they were drinking so i decided to dip their beaks just in case and i was right, started gulping down water nonstop. didn't think two month olds would be that clueless. the brooder is not even big, they keep walking past the waterer.

Thanks. Here's my F2 Giant Silkie cockerel.View attachment 2941213

I figured out after many years of raising, & breeding silkies, is that they can be quite Gamey. Had to separate a couple cockerels, since they tried to kill each other.

he is gorgeous! do you use other breeds to increase their size?

what colour is he? I have just bought a cockerel that looks the same and it looks to me like columbian. black and white only, no trace of gray. my cockerel has more black hackles.

he is gorgeous! do you use other breeds to increase their size?

what colour is he? I have just bought a cockerel that looks the same and it looks to me like columbian. black and white only, no trace of gray. my cockerel has more black hackles.
Thanks. He's LF Silkie/Brahma X LF Silkie. I'll be adding Malay to the next F1 cross.

He's a Silver Columbian.

Adults, they weren't too tiny but smaller than i thought, surprised that they can lay such big eggs for their size.

The chicks didn't know where to drink even though its the same looking waterer 😓. i was not sure if they were drinking so i decided to dip their beaks just in case and i was right, started gulping down water nonstop. didn't think two month olds would be that clueless. the brooder is not even big, they keep walking past the waterer.
Mine are about the same size of Standard Black Sumatras, & lay medium, large, & occasionally the extra large egg.

My bantam silkies lay medium small, small, & peewee eggs.

It was just the stress. At least you got them to drink.

Mine are about the same size of Standard Black Sumatras, & lay medium, large, & occasionally the extra large egg.

My bantam silkies lay medium small, small, & peewee eggs.

It was just the stress. At least you got them to drink.
The little one finally decided to eat. She had her crop empty for soo long it was worrying. When i offered it by hand she would eat happily. But when I showed her the feeder she stopped. I fed her with my hand over the feeder and once she realize she is eating from the feeder she stops.

After a while of doing that though, she finally started eating from the feeder! Yay! Have to say, the brahma is bossy though. He pecks the silkies to show them who's boss, guess they are getting adjusted. Sometimes they all spin around though in panic think its the tall tub. So i let them out in the room for a bit and let them back in, eventually they settle in.

Any recommendations on what to do when they are panicking and spinning around? At this time they usually also try to jump out of the brooder. And it is not tiny, but it’s nothing like the room they were in. Ill try to get them some grass to give them something to do. Maybe they are ok but their shreeking screams worries me. Never really heard chicks this panicked. Maybe because i usually either get older birds or eggs.

Back
Top Bottom