Exchequer Leghorn...Boy or Girl?

GreenMum

Chirping
14 Years
Mar 2, 2009
West Koots, BC Canada
I have five exchequer leghorns, all coming up on four months old. Two have minimal combs, three have significant combs but are still pinkish except the one who has a very red comb. I've read that these birds are known for early development of combs and wattles so I'm thinking that they may all be pullets. I have seen no evidence of saddle feathers and quite honestly the cape feathers look the same on the birds with the minimal combs as on the one with the very red comb. Both pics are the same bird, the second is the best I could get of the back side of her (please please please be a her). Thoughts?

How old is he/she? If younger than eight weeks or so, I'd guess cockerel. Leghorns develop combs sooner than other slower maturing chickens, but a large comb like this one makes me think male. If he/she's older than eight weeks, you may have a female.

How old is he/she? If younger than eight weeks or so, I'd guess cockerel. Leghorns develop combs sooner than other slower maturing chickens, but a large comb like this one makes me think male. If he/she's older than eight weeks, you may have a female.
This one is coming up on four months, so.. (quick math here lol) 16 weeks. I am wondering because I thought I heard three cockerels trying out their cock-a-doodle-doo's a while back. The one was crowing every morning 13 times at sunrise and then periodically throughout the day. My neighbour will not tolerate roosters, so he unfortunately had to move on to higher pastures. The other one is most definitely a roo, but his crow is very quiet and infrequent. I'm going to grow him out a bit more. Come to think of it, there has been only one incident of quasi-crowing since that first boy was dispatched...hmmm...

You'd think you would be seeing some sort of male feathering by four months in a male leghorn, and by then some of the girls could be getting close to lay which would hopefully explain the bigger comb. They don't come hen feathered do they?

You'd think you would be seeing some sort of male feathering by four months in a male leghorn, and by then some of the girls could be getting close to lay which would hopefully explain the bigger comb. They don't come hen feathered do they?

No, the only breed that is hen-feathered is the Sebright Bantam (though Campines have a modified version of it).

I didn't realize that hen feathered was an actual thing...I thought you were commiserating with me about not knowing. I'm really glad I somehow didn't submit the response I had earlier. If you were commiserating with me, it was funny, but given the actuality of it all it was a pretty dumb statement! I learned something new today!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom