Exchequer Leghorn...Boy or Girl?

Ok folks, I tried to get some pics uploaded but there was a mutiny with my technical devices. So, I'll give you an update: "She" is not crowing (although the Speckled Sussex roo is not crowing either
roll.png
) and no saddle feathers are forming, no curving tail feathers, no nothing like that. HOWEVER...I did find a smallish white egg in one of the nesting boxes a couple of days ago
celebrate.gif

Thanks for your input, and I'll let you know for sure if she turns out to be a he.

I think a girl. I don't see hackles or saddles, and leghorns get big combs very fast. She looks like a POL (point of lay) pullet! :)

You are correct Annie, she is a girl. Any ideas when these Exchequer Leghorn eggs will start to size up? I pretty much have all pullet eggs from my new batch of layers but even with them being pullet eggs, the one from my E.L. are significantly smaller.

Thank you. They are very strange in their behaviour, though. If I reach to pet one they will bolt like wildfire, but they will gather about me all while I'm working in the coop, following me everywhere I go. They weave their way between my legs as I walk (just like cats!), will come and eat out of my hand, brush against me, pick the occasional piece of straw out of my hair (I have NO idea how that gets there but it does!) and yet run screaming if I reach my hand out to pet them. Odd but definitely beautiful. I'm very glad I decided to give them a go ;)

Back
Top Bottom