Excited Newbie

BYC-backyard-fence 3.png

How many chickens will you have? Keep in mind that Buffs will take a lot longer to reach "processing" age than broilers would (7-10 weeks) so you will still need to have enough space for everyone to live peacefully. Like already mentioned, separating boys from girls is a good idea.

I don't know the actual dimensions of the coop you bought, but I also used to have a prefab and it was barely big enough to accommodate 3 hens even with free range time almost all day. If you plan to keep your best cockerel as a flock protector, you'll also want to have a lot of hens too... because a roo can end up over breeding just a few hens causing them to lose feathers on their back, and possibly injuring them or just plain making their life a nightmare. I've heard stories where too few hens can barely get a moment to preen themselves or dust bathe in peace. (just something to think about)

Here are some great articles to help you figure out how many chickens will fit in your space and how to make sure your coop is in good order:
How Much Room Do Chickens Need

Chicken Coop Ventilation – Go Out There and Cut More Holes in Your Coop

Predator Proofing

flappyChicken.gif
Good luck in your egg-citing new chicken adventure!
flappyChicken.gif

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Its a good thing you are not squeamish to cull the extra cockerels. Good luck with the buff orpingtons! Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

View attachment 1581190
How many chickens will you have? Keep in mind that Buffs will take a lot longer to reach "processing" age than broilers would (7-10 weeks) so you will still need to have enough space for everyone to live peacefully. Like already mentioned, separating boys from girls is a good idea.

I don't know the actual dimensions of the coop you bought, but I also used to have a prefab and it was barely big enough to accommodate 3 hens even with free range time almost all day. If you plan to keep your best cockerel as a flock protector, you'll also want to have a lot of hens too... because a roo can end up over breeding just a few hens causing them to lose feathers on their back, and possibly injuring them or just plain making their life a nightmare. I've heard stories where too few hens can barely get a moment to preen themselves or dust bathe in peace. (just something to think about)

Here are some great articles to help you figure out how many chickens will fit in your space and how to make sure your coop is in good order:
How Much Room Do Chickens Need

Chicken Coop Ventilation – Go Out There and Cut More Holes in Your Coop

Predator Proofing

View attachment 1581192 Good luck in your egg-citing new chicken adventure!View attachment 1581192
Thank you so much for the advice and the links. I'm currently working on making a larger run area for daytime roaming. I do know that the previous owner said she had 6 birds in this coop and free ranged them during the day. I'm hoping that this will keep them till spring atleast then I can build a more suitable coop. Our birds are still with out friends from church and will be about 4 weeks old before we get them.

Thank you so much for the advice and the links. I'm currently working on making a larger run area for daytime roaming. I do know that the previous owner said she had 6 birds in this coop and free ranged them during the day. I'm hoping that this will keep them till spring atleast then I can build a more suitable coop. Our birds are still with out friends from church and will be about 4 weeks old before we get them.
Awesome! I thought you meant a new little prefab, not a used one, it might be bigger than I was thinking. In that case, make sure you clean and sanitize it really well with a bleach/water solution, then rinse and have it completely dried out before your chicks arrive. Chickens are notorious disease spreaders, and even if the "old" flock never showed signs of any sickness, they could have been carriers. Better to be safe. Chickens are pretty good at building immunities over time, but you don't want to bombard your little ones with some unknown possible illness.

So they should have most of their feathers by 4 wks old and could go straight to the coop. Probably won't need much supplemental heat (if any)... depending on outside temps. If you think it's too cold, you could always run an extension cord and try a heating pad or similar... much safer than a heat lamp.

If you do end up building a new coop, keep this old one too, it'll probably come in handy... like a separation area for a sick or injured bird, or a brooder for new babies... probably! If you get rid of it, you'll end up wishing you still had it.

Back
Top Bottom