"Expecting" chicken Mom in SE Georgia

ATChicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 28, 2014
Ok, so I have had a chicken coop I bought prefab in the box for a LONG time, I have been hesitant about getting everything set up, because I want to make sure I will be a good chicken mom, who is equipped to handle my 4 bird flock.

I am posting here because I am having a hard time finding anyone who will sell pullets that can just go right into the coop. So, today I took the plunge, ordered a EcoGlow heater, and a brood box. I know where I can get my chicks from, hopefully they will be properly sexed, as I am not sure I want a rooster yet (although I think I do, after my research on the benefits).

My dilema stems from where I need to keep these lil chicks. I can set them up outside in my carport, but I worry about predators (not that I have seen anything to indicate I have any in excess) and the temperature. i also worry about setting my house on fire, and my long hours I spend away at work 7-8 generally, 5 days a week.

Should I keep looking for pullets or get some baby chicks? Opinions and reasons will be greatly appreciated. I want my chickens as pets first, and hopefully egg layers second. They will be family.

I have no garage, I have 3 dogs who may or may not be ok with chickens, although I have the coop set up safe from the dogs and other predators.

I have a bathroom I could use for the babies, I just dont want to endanger my dogs or birds with a heater thats on for them while I am at work.

hope to hear from you all soon, and I expect I will have way more questions!

Sarah

I wouldn't consider the EcoGlow a fire hazard like a regular heat bulb, especially when plugged into a GFCI outlet. I bought one for that very reason, as I have to be away from home during the day and I brood my chicks inside (for convenience). Even when mine has been on for hours, I can touch the heat plate directly without discomfort, so it doesn't get hot enough to light bedding (or chickies) on fire.

However; I believe it has a minimum ambient operating temperature of 50ºF so I would be wary of using outside during the Fall/Winter even in southern Georgia.

If it were me, considering the season and possibility of predators, I would brood in the bathroom until they feather out in 4 weeks or so. You'll only have a handful of chicks so there won't be too much dust and being in a bathroom it should be easy cleanup afterwards.

I would brood in the bathroom! I also have a chicken tractor so my birds have access to fresh green grass and different areas of the yard but are always protected!

Pullets are great if you are worried about chicks. You should look on craigslist, facebook (look for poultry groups and join), and ask around about any animal sales/auctions! I'm sure there are pullets avaliable if you really don't want to get chicks!

Thank you for the replies! Bathroom it is, getting my final touches in now as my babies are in transit via the post.

What's a Gfci outlet please?

Thank you for the replies! Bathroom it is, getting my final touches in now as my babies are in transit via the post.

A GFCI is a "ground fault circuit interrupter". It's designed to cut off if the current flowing through it is unbalanced. Example: you drop a hairdryer into a bathtub full of water, the GFCI outlet detects that the current flowing out of it is greater than the current flowing back in (because it's flowing into the water) and it shuts off (DO NOT TEST THIS AT HOME PLEASE, THANKS). They're commonly found in bathrooms and near sinks because they reduce the risk of electric shock if the outlet or appliance plugged into the outlet gets wet or malfunctions. They have two little buttons on them that say "Test" and "Reset".

If you dont have a GFCI outlet like TheGeekySheep explained than I am pretty sure you can get some type of adapter at any big box store if you tell them what you are doing. But the Ecoglow heating light you got is designed for exactly your issue. It is tailor made for extended use without the danger of anything catching fire. But like it has already been mentioned it does have a minimum temp that it can be run in. If the ambient temp is to low than the heater doesn't produce enough to keep the chicks warm.

Oh no! I can't leave a heat lamp in my house on! That's to dangerous. I read a lot about the ecoglow and thought it was sufficient for this type of use (brooder in the house). Now I'm completely panicked.

Oh no! I can't leave a heat lamp in my house on! That's to dangerous. I read a lot about the ecoglow and thought it was sufficient for this type of use (brooder in the house). Now I'm completely panicked.

You have an EcoGlow right? So you're fine. You can leave that on all day in the house. You don't need to use a heat lamp/light in conjunction with that. The EcoGlow by itself it adequate as long as your house doesn't get below 50ºF, which, if it does then brrrr.

Don't panic.
What state are you in? As was said, craigslist is a fairly easy place to find started pullets. The advantage to them is you know they aren't cockerels and you'll be getting eggs this year rather than next.
Please don't assume there won't be predators in your carport because you haven't seen them. Trust me, they're out there.
Also, unless you've observed your dogs with chickens and especially baby chicks, expect them to kill the chickens and take necessary precautions.
Do you have electric at the coop? You could raise them out there. Depending on time of year, mine go out as soon as they come out of the hatcher.

Back
Top Bottom