Expensive, Highly sought after...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PeacockMan, Jan 15, 2012.

1. PeacockMan

PeacockMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    What are the most expensive, highly sought after chickens in the US?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Tolbunt Polish
    Frizzled Tolbunt Polish
    Swedish Flower Hens
    Creme Legbars
    Isbars
    Sulmtalers
    Red or Buff Sussex
    White American Bresse
    Blue Partridge Brahmas

there are others....

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Probably anything in the same area as the Asils are the hardest to come by and the most expensive.

I would think that any breed that is highly sought after will have a lot of breeders breeding a lot of birds to meet the demand. That brings the price down to the level of everything else.

4. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I don't know about sought after but Greenfire farms is selling (or trying to) day old white bresse chicks (unsexed) for $400 apiece. Definitely the most expensive!

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    All I can tell you the most expensive breeder I've know are Greenfire Farms. The breeds mentioned above, I agree with those statements.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'm sorry but Greenfire Farms doesn't always have the rarest or most sought after, and a lot of their prices are way off. I for one got my Blue Partridge Brahma hen, like quite a few other people, for less than $20 from some hatching eggs.

Asils are indeed some very expensive examples though, same goes with other Orientals especially rare ones like Ga Don, Thais, etc. I've seen Thai stags sell for over $1,200 a piece.

They're actually not that sought after though.

The most well known, well sought for are Lavender, Blue Laced Red, and Chocolate colored breeds. Next comes Tolbunt colored Polish.

A lot of what Greenfire has, I rarely ever see or hear people drooling after, although some of their stuff of course is highly wanted and indeed only originally from Greenfire, such as Coronation Sussex. But some of it also comes from other sources that isn't imported. Silver/Gold/Buff Laced Brahmas, Pumpkin Hulseys, Shamos, French Marans, Polish . .

7. cadencekeona

cadencekeona Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2011
    Would you mind sharing where you got your Blue Partridge Brahma eggs? I would love to have some!! [​IMG]
    Thanks

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Contact the BYC member Sjisty. [​IMG]

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

I don't think "way off" even comes close. Greenfire's pricing illustrates P. T. Barmam's well known quote "There's a sucker born every minute".

10. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Greenfire absorbs all the expense and risk of importing the birds, why shouldn't they charge a premium, considering almost every single one of their clients will turn around and sell chicks and eggs on their own, thus diluting Greenfire's own pool of prospective buyers exponentially.

It's good business sense. Supply and demand, yadda yadda yadda. I get tired of seeing folks talk smack about it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by