Experienced help please...adding goslings to a goose.

Birdydeb

Songster
Apr 6, 2016
In a valley between the mountains
I had to separate my lone goose out of the duck pen almost two weeks ago because my drake was beating up on her and not letting her out to eat and drink. She now has her only little parallel pen next to the ducks(so she can see them, she has missed them so badly) and somewhat seems to have settled in. However, she has NOT gone back to laying. Does this mean she really doesn't feel safe or comfortable. I had ordered more goslings so she could have goosey friends. They should be here by Wednesday. So now what? Do I start brooding them indoors..immediately to the pen with her? I have been told she will adopt them. How do I set this up for success? Thoughts and opinions please! Thank you!

Two Tufted Buff goslings....they have my heart.:love

ETA: I had just cleaned their brooder btw. :)

Last edited:
My goose Serena is supposed to be Tufted Buff also but she has no tuft. I didn't get a good enough pic of it but these two most definitely have a tuft. :) After last year's water bowl accident with Serena's buddy, I am super nervous about water. Even if it means I have to be constantly filling water for those two ALL day, I am making sure they can't drown. That was just too heartbreaking last year. I am glad now that I didn't get just any goose to keep her company....mainly I wasn't having any luck finding one. Very happy now that I will have a trio of Tufted Buff. :)

I had to separate my lone goose out of the duck pen almost two weeks ago because my drake was beating up on her and not letting her out to eat and drink. She now has her only little parallel pen next to the ducks(so she can see them, she has missed them so badly) and somewhat seems to have settled in. However, she has NOT gone back to laying. Does this mean she really doesn't feel safe or comfortable. I had ordered more goslings so she could have goosey friends. They should be here by Wednesday. So now what? Do I start brooding them indoors..immediately to the pen with her? I have been told she will adopt them. How do I set this up for success? Thoughts and opinions please! Thank you!
I'd set up a small area inside her pen for visitations. Because she may not take to them right off and may need some time to get to know them. So brood inside for at least a couple weeks and visitations as often as you can and weather permits.

My goose took about 2.5 weeks to accept the gosling I got for her. But once she did she was a fantastic mom.

I can do that! Thank you! I would have felt a lot better about this if she had gone back to laying because birds of all species only lay if they feel safe or comfortable. She wants to mother the ducks and I believe that is where she and the drake got cross ways of each other. He simply wasn't having it. Hopefully she and the goslings will do fine and she will have goosey friends. :)

Back
Top Bottom