Experienced Trader Joe hatchers

Out of the 4 eggs I placed only one is still going strong the other three never even started.. we'll find out how it goes Thurs/Friday.. So excited!
woot.gif

Today is Day 18 for the TJ eggs so I candled them while Buffy took a stretch/meal/water& poop break!
celebrate.gif

All five eggs were very dark inside up to the aircell. I could just barely see veins and subtle movements in all 5 eggs!
jumpy.gif

Hatchday will either be this Thursday or Friday. I'll keep everyone posted and add pictures if any or ALL chicks hatch!

I never knew Trader Joe's carried fertilized eggs, either did my mom. But then again we rarely buy eggs from them so we don't normally look at their eggs. Now I know that next time I go to TJ, I will be looking at their eggs to see if ours carries fertilized!
big_smile.png

I never knew Trader Joe's carried fertilized eggs, either did my mom. But then again we rarely buy eggs from them so we don't normally look at their eggs. Now I know that next time I go to TJ, I will be looking at their eggs to see if ours carries fertilized!
big_smile.png

I didn't know they did either i'll have to look into that next time i go for sure!!
If they carry them, it will say right on the carton..."Fertile Eggs". I've heard of some TJ that do NOT carry them, but my local TJ fortunately does. By the way, one dozen costs only $2.79 at my store! These would be perfect for someone that wants to try incubating for the first time. Or (like my case) I didn't want to spend a fortune on eggs for my broody.....in case she didn't stay broody.

When I talked to the workers, they wrinkled their noses and said they probably wouldn't develop and weren't even necessarily 'fertile". (Don't ask me how they could sell them as Fertile, if they aren't, though!) I should have put the whole dozen under Buffy, but I only gave her 6. There was one egg with a bloodring about Day 8, so she is still working on 5 eggs. So, this "experiment" is also good practice at candling. If I sell the chicks, they will easily pay for themselves OR give me potential future egg layers if I keep them.
smile.png

If/when you buy Fertile eggs, let them warm up on the counter until they reach room temperature. Then you can put them in the ready and waiting incubator. BTW-I have a friend who incubated a dozen TJ fertile eggs....and 11 hatched! Good luck!

Oh, in case anyone is interested, I had my TJ call the egg company to find out what breed of chicken laid the eggs. These are from white leghorns.

Today is Hatchday......and we hear peeping!
wee.gif
Sorry, no visuals yet (Buffy is sitting on them), but I promise to keep my camera charged for when they hatch.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom