Experiment in raising chicks. Mamma hen adopting new hatchery chicks after she hatched her nest out

bboyd1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 23, 2013
To the Right of Nowhere
My Golden Laced Wyandotte went broody awhile back, and I allowed her to hatch out chicks for the first time. Tuesday of this week,(Aug. 13th) she became the proud mamma to 5 baby chicks. Too bad that 2 of those were killed Thursday evening while roaming with her when they got too close to where our goat was hanging out and were stepped on. :( Now its Friday and I just found out tomarrow is chick day at our local farm supply store. So here goes. Im gonna go buy 3-5 chicks and see if I can get her to adopt them. I know its crazy to introduce chicks this many days after her own have hatched, and they will probably end up in a brooder box, but I think its worth trying out. So I thought some folks may have had some experiance with this type of thing or might just be interested in how it turns out, and if it goes well what exactly was done. Im planning on sneaking them in of an evening when she is sleepy anyway... I'll update Saturday evening or Sunday! Here's hoping I can get my hen to take over some of the work of expanding our flock!!
fl.gif

Well, so far so good. Bought 7 blue laced wyandottes this morning, and had thought I'd wait and introduce them tonight when my hen was sleeping with her other chicks she hatched. But I couldn't contain myself.... so I took one out there and turned it loose with her and her babies while they were eating. She didn't even blink at it. Little sucker just ran over and started eating with the others, then settled in under Mamma Fluffy Butt when the others did to stay warm! Holy CROW! About and hour later I did the same thing again with a second newly bought chick. Same thing happend. Looks like I got super lucky and have a bird that is not only a good broody, but a good mamma who is happy to adopt! I should say that these chicks I bought were hatched Thursday, so I was worried about them knowing what to do with a mamma hen, but since she had some of her own to lead the way, the young new babies just followed right along. Now to continue the process through the day, 5 more chicks to introduce. Im gonna continue introducing them one at a time just in case she decides to start refusing them. I also wonder if putting them all in at once would draw too much attention to the fact that they aren't her own. lol. Please let me know if anyone else out there has done this successfully! I'd love to hear about it! I honestly thought I'd have a much more difficult time getting her to adopt new chicks into her already hatched batch.

I should say they are Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, a fairly new breed and coloring among Wyandottes. Their lacing is the blue color around their red feathers, varies from deeper to lighter, and rosters esp still have red around their heads. Makes for beautiful birds!

Back
Top Bottom