Experimenting with a few meat birds as pets

Pics
Glad the chicks are doing well!

If the bigger ones are getting a little cramped and are mostly feathered, they can go to the group. Since cornish are so mellow, integrating the younger ones with the older ones when they are ready to go outside shouldn't be too difficult.

The keel bone feeling does work for chicks. If your chicks feel a bit overweight, then yes they should be separated for feed restriction.
Okay, they don't seem like there over weight yet, but I think they are getting there. I'll do some more research on what it should feel like, and feel my adult birds keel bones, just to make sure i'm "feeling" it correctly. Haha!

Okay, so I separated Doodle and Smudge, I will upload pictures so you guys and confirm that you also think they are both girls. I am also wondering who much to feed them per day this age. A quick google search said that other chick breeds eat 3 oz a day, which is 3/8 cup. Thought I know that different feeds weight different amounts, I don't have a food scale, so I can't get exactly 3 oz yet. I do plan to get one though.
Does that sounds right? 3/8 cup? Thanks for your help!

I am also wondering who much to feed them per day this age. A quick google search said that other chick breeds eat 3 oz a day, which is 3/8 cup. Thought I know that different feeds weight different amounts, I don't have a food scale, so I can't get exactly 3 oz yet. I do plan to get one though.
Does that sounds right? 3/8 cup? Thanks for your help!

I would measure out some amount--maybe one or two cups--and let them eat all they want for one day. At the end of the day, measure how much is left.

That will tell you how much they eat when they get all they want.

Then feed them a little less than that, for each day after the first. I'm thinking maybe 3/4 of the amount they would eat, although that's a guess. You will probably have to pay careful attention to their body condition, and keep changing the amount as they grow.

I would measure out some amount--maybe one or two cups--and let them eat all they want for one day. At the end of the day, measure how much is left.

That will tell you how much they eat when they get all they want.

Then feed them a little less than that, for each day after the first. I'm thinking maybe 3/4 of the amount they would eat, although that's a guess. You will probably have to pay careful attention to their body condition, and keep changing the amount as they grow.
Got it, I heard that 3/4 is what they would need per bird as adults, so I may want to feed less then that, and see how they do. They are already on the verge of being over weight, though I'm going to double check I'm feeling there keel bones correctly, so I don't want them to get any heavier.
I'll try that! Thanks!

I got 3 cornish x in mid Sept from granddaughters fair project. These were replacement to sooth my broken heart, my entire flock was killed on Sept 3rd. She had 25 total, I kept 3, the rest butchered and weighed out average of 6 lbs @ 8 weeks, so born mid July. It was a drastically learning experience with my 3. They don't roost or even try to get off the ground, so made them a roosting spot ( 2ftx4ft plywood on bricks) they use. Restrict food to a cup morning and night, scatter it out instead of a feeder (make them walk, scratch for food). Let them free range. They drink alot of water. Got first egg in January. Then 2 eggs on same day. I get 2-4 eggs a week. They survived our texas freeze. Biggest one (22 lb) got slower and less active, finally to the point I would have to pick her up to go in run (step was brick high), still eating laying. Got a massive double yolk egg from her and she passed away next day very peaceful head tucked. Got 6 chicks from tsc 3 weeks ago, to start my flock back. Still getting 1-2 eggs a week from my 2 cornish. Got another large egg, noticed 2nd biggest not active, she had tried to lay a massive egg, and prolapse, literally egg tangled up and prolapse hanging about an inch from vent to tangled egg. I euthanized her immediately. She weighed 21 lbs.
Currently, 6 3 week old chicks and 1 cornish x. Got an egg yesterday, took babies outside, cornish x immediately ran to fence and started clucking cooing. I know she's lonesome, still healthy and prowling the weeds. It has been a very different experience from reg chicken keeping. I will not get cornish x again.
20210311_190242.jpg

I got 3 cornish x in mid Sept from granddaughters fair project. These were replacement to sooth my broken heart, my entire flock was killed on Sept 3rd. She had 25 total, I kept 3, the rest butchered and weighed out average of 6 lbs @ 8 weeks, so born mid July. It was a drastically learning experience with my 3. They don't roost or even try to get off the ground, so made them a roosting spot ( 2ftx4ft plywood on bricks) they use. Restrict food to a cup morning and night, scatter it out instead of a feeder (make them walk, scratch for food). Let them free range. They drink alot of water. Got first egg in January. Then 2 eggs on same day. I get 2-4 eggs a week. They survived our texas freeze. Biggest one (22 lb) got slower and less active, finally to the point I would have to pick her up to go in run (step was brick high), still eating laying. Got a massive double yolk egg from her and she passed away next day very peaceful head tucked. Got 6 chicks from tsc 3 weeks ago, to start my flock back. Still getting 1-2 eggs a week from my 2 cornish. Got another large egg, noticed 2nd biggest not active, she had tried to lay a massive egg, and prolapse, literally egg tangled up and prolapse hanging about an inch from vent to tangled egg. I euthanized her immediately. She weighed 21 lbs.
Currently, 6 3 week old chicks and 1 cornish x. Got an egg yesterday, took babies outside, cornish x immediately ran to fence and started clucking cooing. I know she's lonesome, still healthy and prowling the weeds. It has been a very different experience from reg chicken keeping. I will not get cornish x again.View attachment 2591520
Wow! What a story! Your ladies sounded so sweet, thank you for sharing! I think in the morning I will scatter the feed to encourage foraging, but only give them a little bit, probably a 1/4 cup. Hopefully that will encourage them to forage all day, and at night I will give them 1 1/4 cup to reel them in.

Wow! What a story! Your ladies sounded so sweet, thank you for sharing! I think in the morning I will scatter the feed to encourage foraging, but only give them a little bit, probably a 1/4 cup. Hopefully that will encourage them to forage all day, and at night I will give them 1 1/4 cup to reel them in.
I know that you want a certain measurement of how much to feed them, but all I can suggest is to give them what they can eat in ~15 minutes, then let them forage in a good place like a compost pile. Then at night another 15 min feeding, all they can eat in that time. They will fill their crop in that time, and go to bed full.

Back
Top Bottom