Explaining Chicken Math

i'm not going to pretend to be good enough at chicken math to be a tutor, or anything like that, but i have picked up a couple of pointers along the line that might be of some help dealing with a spouse or significant other who is not as keen at having chickens are we enlightened people are.

1. in the last couple of years, some hatcheries have gone from shipping a minimum of 25 chicks per order to as few as 3. some people consider this a godsend, because they only want 3 (or 5, or 7) chicks. if you want to excel at chicken math, avoid these hatcheries like the plague, and make sure the hatchery you order from has a strict policy of shipping a minimum of 25 chicks. tell dh or dw that you called and called people to ask them to share the order, but no one was interested. you can really do this, just call your friends who live in the city or in apartments and ask them.

2. always be on the alert for breeds you don't already have in your flock. don't have marans? you need a half dozen layers to get the chocolate color in the egg basket. really makes the daily collection of eggs a conversation piece. no polish? are you kidding? how can you not have a dozen or so - you know, just a couple of each kind - in with your flock? whenever someone who doesn't have chickens comes to visit, and you show off your girls, the top hat chicks will be the first ones commented on, guaranteed. no silkies? the chicken that practically has hair instead of feathers, and you don't even have one? this suggestion can can be used many, many times once you get the hang of it.

3. if you have, say 25 or more birds in your flock already, and you have an opportunity to get 5 or fewer pullets that are ready to lay, don't even mention them to the significant other. just have them acclimate to the rest of the flock, then join the main flock, there's a good chance 5 more won't be noticed, and if they are, just mumble something like "they've been here for weeks already, didn't i mention them when i got them?

almost anyone who has studied and understands chicken math could give some pointer of their own. i hope mine help.

goodpost.gif
thumbsup.gif

I do that. I told the DH that I ordered " a couple for the kiddo for his birthday and a couple extra to replace the other hens we've lost". Then I hid the shipment papers and told him of the "packing peanuts for warmth" policy (I swear I did NOT know about it beforehand, darling!) Then casually mention the "minimum order" and say he might want to be prepared for a few more than I thought I'd have to get. By the time I was done just mentioning things... he was glad it was only 22 that showed up instead of the 50 I'd made it sound like!

i'm not going to pretend to be good enough at chicken math to be a tutor, or anything like that, but i have picked up a couple of pointers along the line that might be of some help dealing with a spouse or significant other who is not as keen at having chickens are we enlightened people are.

1. in the last couple of years, some hatcheries have gone from shipping a minimum of 25 chicks per order to as few as 3. some people consider this a godsend, because they only want 3 (or 5, or 7) chicks. if you want to excel at chicken math, avoid these hatcheries like the plague, and make sure the hatchery you order from has a strict policy of shipping a minimum of 25 chicks. tell dh or dw that you called and called people to ask them to share the order, but no one was interested. you can really do this, just call your friends who live in the city or in apartments and ask them.

2. always be on the alert for breeds you don't already have in your flock. don't have marans? you need a half dozen layers to get the chocolate color in the egg basket. really makes the daily collection of eggs a conversation piece. no polish? are you kidding? how can you not have a dozen or so - you know, just a couple of each kind - in with your flock? whenever someone who doesn't have chickens comes to visit, and you show off your girls, the top hat chicks will be the first ones commented on, guaranteed. no silkies? the chicken that practically has hair instead of feathers, and you don't even have one? this suggestion can can be used many, many times once you get the hang of it.

3. if you have, say 25 or more birds in your flock already, and you have an opportunity to get 5 or fewer pullets that are ready to lay, don't even mention them to the significant other. just have them acclimate to the rest of the flock, then join the main flock, there's a good chance 5 more won't be noticed, and if they are, just mumble something like "they've been here for weeks already, didn't i mention them when i got them?

almost anyone who has studied and understands chicken math could give some pointer of their own. i hope mine help.
You are terrible!!
gig.gif

So that's what is going on with me! Started with 6 guineas last year, added 2 more in case of chick death; did lose 6 through wildlife before I knew better over the winter. Got 4 brown EE chicks, then saw two white EE chicks and got them; four weeks later saw an add on CL for 50 cent mixed chicks, was only going to get two, came home with 8...told my husband that when I find out if they are roosters or hens, may get more. Plus I need some fuzzy chickens..heads, feet, bodies...so I'm not even close to done LOL!

well im 14 and mom and dad said i could get 3 hens we built a big coop and run that was easter 2012 and now we have 1 roo 3 silkies 7 hens and i have 9 eggs under a broody hen
wee.gif
you can never have to many hens
thumbsup.gif

I think I'm winning at this chicken math. Started with 6, two ISA Browns and 4 meat birds. Next I had 8 follow me home from the feed store.. 2 EE, 3 black australorps, 2 bared rocks 7+6= 13. Next I purchased 17 Marans hatching eggs. I had one black australorp die....and only one live egg hatch. So that keeps me at 13. II had to buy my new chick a partner.. so that puts me at 14. I just set my Dad up with two of my birds....which brings me down to 12. I'm sendi g my 4 meat birds to freezer camp this weekend.. that will put me at 8. WOW... I need to go buy some more birds!

This time a year ago I had three hens. Now up to nine including some chicks hatched a few weeks ago by a broody. When the chicks were hatched ALL the other hens went broody. None of them have snapped out of it so I've sent off for some hatching eggs. Meant to get 6 but got a bit carried away with various different breeds - now have 27 en route - keep telling myself that I'm only going to hatch six of them but I can feel my resolve slipping... HELP!

I have become a victim of cosmic chicken math.

I had 7 laying chickens who aren't really laying, so I said that I wanted to replace them.

I ended up with 12 red layers from TSC plus 8 meaties (which my SIL didn't know were meaties) because the meaties were on sale.

I then stated I wanted dual purpose plus a couple that I could use to brood dorking eggs in addition to my 2 dorkings that I fell in love with (plus the accompanying rooster)

Those breeds need to be purchased from the hatchery in groups of 5 - I ordered 25 chickens 5 brahmas, 5 black cochin, 5 dominique, 5 Barred rocks,and 5 SLW.

Initially given a hatch date, then called to advise a different hatch date.

Post office calls after original hatch date - they have chicks. 29 from that order on a Friday.

hatchery calls the following Monday to tell me they are putting my chicks on a truck. I advise them I already have my chicks. They inform me they are removing them from the truck.

Post office calls Wednesday - they have chicks. I call the hatchery.

Apparently through some glitch they were actually going to ship me about 75 chicks. Instead I got 55.

Total chickens - 85 - 7 retiring layers, 6 meaties ready for departure, 12 red layers 8 weeks, 2 dorking hens, 2 dorking roos, 1 polish because she makes me laugh, 11 Brahma, 11 cochin, 22 dominique/BR because I can't tell at this point as only one of the orders marked them, and 11 SLW.

Also 1 swedish blue and 1 runner duck.

I've decided to pass on getting turkeys this year...

Back
Top Bottom