Exposed skin/regrowing feathers

junebug13

Hatching
Apr 24, 2021
Hi! My chicken was recently attacked by most likely a coyote. She wasn't bleeding anywhere and only lost feathers. Most of the feathers on her left wing are gone and a few by her head. I'm concerned about the exposed skin and was curious if there was something I could do to help keep it protected. She is separated from the flock and I am bringing her inside at night. I was going to start supplying her with more protein rich foods to help with the feather regrowth. She is really alert and eating and drinking perfectly fine. Thank you!

Welcome To BYC!

Can you post some photos of her injuries?
How long ago was she attacked?
Yes! Here are some photos. It was about two days ago. I didn't find any open wounds, that's why I'm not too worried.

Attachments

• IMG_4806.jpg
    IMG_4806.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4808.jpg
    IMG_4808.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4809.jpg
    IMG_4809.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 6
Thank you for the photos.

She has a close call!
I see a little bruising (greenish colored skin) but to be honest, if the skin is not broken and you aren't finding any puncture wounds, I don't think I would do anything. She *should* replace those feathers that were ripped out.
Eating/drinking and alert is good.

For me and my flock, I would be inclined to put her back with the flock and watch to see if anyone picks on her. If all is good, then I would leave her with her flock. IF picked at, then I would cage her inside the coop/run to re-introduce her and let her feathers grow back in a little, then see how integration goes.

Thank you so much! I'm so glad she wasn't hurt that bad. I'll see how she is with the other chickens and separate if necessary. Do you have any suggestions of what I should feed her to help with the feather regrowth? I was thinking of some mealworms or black soldier fly larvae.

Kalmbach has a full plume feathering feed if you wanted to try that to. I also like Kalmbach because it's All natural, and has Non-GMO and Organic options.
The feathering feed is also supposed to be rich in specific minerals and vitamins to help grow feathers. I can post a link if you like.
Otherwise, I completely agree with @Wyorp Rock, thats the course of action I would take. You can also try to cover her bald areas with Blue Kote, which is an antibacterial that is indigo in color. So when you spray it on injuries, it hides the injured, red or bare skin.
I may do that upon integration just to be sure nothing happens.

Thank you! I'm looking into the Kalmbach food right now. We might have some Blue Kote laying around, so I'll be sure to apply some to her bare spots. Thanks again for all of the advice!

Thank you so much! I'm so glad she wasn't hurt that bad. I'll see how she is with the other chickens and separate if necessary. Do you have any suggestions of what I should feed her to help with the feather regrowth? I was thinking of some mealworms or black soldier fly larvae.
The feathers will fill in by her eating her normal feed. You can give her a bit of egg, the mealworms, etc. for added protein if you wish - not too many, you don't want to make her fat🙃

How is she doing? Was she accepted back into the flock?

Back
Top Bottom