External pip on underside of air cell… do I flip?

The inner membrane should look relatively transparent when you moisten it.

A video would be good.

Oh, yes, if the duckling didn't pip into the air cell, then you may have to wait up to about 24 extra hours before hatching. How long has it been now?

Sounds like it's probably doing all right. :D :pop

Little one is still doing well! Coming up on 39 hours. No progress but that’s ok! Hopefully we see something tomorrow.

Our second pipper (about 13 hours ago) has now created a second pip mark right next to the first!

Pipper who tried to give me a heart attack is the same. It’s only been about 4 hours so no surprise there.

We have a 4th pip! Yay!

We have two more eggs still waiting on external pips. I do believe they have reached 24 hours sense internal. I cannot be certain though. I still see good movement in the air cell so I am leaving them be and will check again in the morning.

There are three other eggs who were a little bit further behind in development. Not much, but a few days at least. They are all catching up very quickly! One I do believe is close to internal pip and the other two have pretty good shadowing in the air cells. I’m surprised at their progress. I did not expect that!

I snuck out to check on our broody girls in the coop. We have a duckling!!

Attachments

• D5F3CB45-D3BD-4F57-BC0E-9D8C3D95B9E0.jpeg
    D5F3CB45-D3BD-4F57-BC0E-9D8C3D95B9E0.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 16
Ok! 2am pipper, foot above bill hatched completely on its own! It seems the waste was in the air cell end and it did push its head right through it… baby is very sticky with all the gunk. I wiped off what I could. Should I bathe it quick and back into the heat?

Hatchling #3 popped out about 10 minutes ago! Wow… zipping is FAST!

Thank you! I’ve been watching and can see the pip hole moving every few minutes so I think little one is ok in the current position.

Two of our females started these eggs and I am unsure of dates so we did not “lock down”. I was waiting for an internal pip before doing so. Because of that, the humidity was only in the low 50s all night. I was finally able to get it up to 67 just a little bit ago so I am going to hold off on opening the bator. I can see movement in the air cell of all the eggs so I trying to tell myself that all is ok for now!

Sounds like they're doing good!

There are varying opinions on humidity, but personally, I'd raise it more. Ducklings need a ton of humidity. There's no such thing as too high humidity for hatching. Some think that high hatching humidity causes drowning, but that's not true--high INCUBATION humidity does.

Movement in the air cell does signify that they've internally pipped.

I opened it up real quick and added another chunk of sponge, waiting for humidity to stabilize. We did hear some peeping! I also listened to one of the other eggs and I did hear a faint clicking sound. I still cannot see any sign of a bill or triangle shape in any of the air cells.

Good! If you're hearing clicking or pipping, the duckling has internally pipped, even if you can't tell from candling.

Back
Top Bottom