External pip on underside of air cell… do I flip?

This little one who has externally pipped is rocking around like crazy! Everything I’ve read says they usually rest after internal pip to absorb yolk. This baby has been rocking this egg for hours with very little rest. The bits of the shell fell off quite some time ago and the membrane is slightly yellow/tan and appears quite leathery looking. Baby has made no further progress… which I know can be normal. But is it normal with the constant crazy rocking and there to be no progress?

Nothing further on the other eggs. I can see what I assume is breathing on a few of them?! It’s more of the shadowing but it’s a constant up and down “shadow”.

I often see mine rocking around without seeming to make progress, so I think that's normal. Yes, they rest for hours upon hours after the external pip, usually more than 24 hours, often up to 48 hours, occasionally more.

Coming up on the 30 hour mark sense I first noticed the external pip… it could have been longer but I did not look at underside of egg before going to bed that night. Duckling has made no progress at all. Still peeping ever so lightly now and then. Membrane is definitely dry. I can see a tiny part of inner membrane and it also looks very dry, dark brown in color. It looks like beef jerky. 😕 At times the egg appears to be vibrating very quickly for 5-10 seconds and then stops. Humidity is currently at 75%. Have not opened the incubator sense this morning to re-wet sponges (humidity was down to 67).

Also, can anyone explain what “chewing” looks like? I’ve been seeing it mentioned a lot but it’s never explained what it would look like. I’m gathering an opening and closing of the bill… but quick? Slow? Constant or with breaks?

Coming up on the 30 hour mark sense I first noticed the external pip… it could have been longer but I did not look at underside of egg before going to bed that night. Duckling has made no progress at all. Still peeping ever so lightly now and then. Membrane is definitely dry. I can see a tiny part of inner membrane and it also looks very dry, dark brown in color. It looks like beef jerky. 😕 At times the egg appears to be vibrating very quickly for 5-10 seconds and then stops. Humidity is currently at 75%. Have not opened the incubator sense this morning to re-wet sponges (humidity was down to 67).

Also, can anyone explain what “chewing” looks like? I’ve been seeing it mentioned a lot but it’s never explained what it would look like. I’m gathering an opening and closing of the bill… but quick? Slow? Constant or with breaks?
So I can not answer your questions as I am new to this as well, and I have only hatched chicks. I am sorry. I do hope someone is able to help you. And I hope it hatches ok

Also unsure if it’s the same with ducks, but with chicks in lockdown you shouldn’t open the incubator to avoid shrink wrapping the chick.

Haha! Oh boy! One little one just tried to give me a heart attack! I was trying to just barley open the lid to wet the sponge with a dropper. As the lid is tipping back slightly I hear egg cracking! 😱 “Oh no! What did I do?!” In a total panic, heart trying to jump from my chest, I look down to see that another little one decided to make its external pip at that exact moment! 🤣😭🤣

I flipped the underside pipper over so I could get a better look. I can just make out the top of the bill. It does look to be moving very quickly, appearing as if it’s vibrating. I cannot tell if it is opening and closing it but I am going to assume that it is and that this little one is still absorbing.

Also unsure if it’s the same with ducks, but with chicks in lockdown you shouldn’t open the incubator to avoid shrink wrapping the chick.
I’ve been really struggling to keep the humidity up, even with both wells full on the incubator, so I have had no choice but to open it quickly to re-wet the sponges.

We had ordered this incubator with intentions of setting 6 eggs from our ducks. We homeschool so researching and getting everything we needed was the plan. Nature had other plans though as two of our girls went broody days after ordering the incubator. They were “sharing” one big nest, which turned to two and then to three. One ended up being ignored for an entire day and upon candling we seen there were beautifully developing embryos with tiny little heartbeats so into the incubator they went. I’ve been reading as much and as quickly as I can but there is SO much info and so little time! Lol.

I’m starting to get a little concerned… little one seems to be trying to move, whole body appears to push upward. I’m also seeing a wing, I think, appear in the pip hole when it does this. It has not actually moved at all though. It did have its bill pushed out of the hole for a little bit and was doing the vibrating thing but was not actually opening or closing the bill. It’s breathing seems to be a bit labored as well.

There is an article for assisted hatches hopefully someone can link it if you can't find it. For your longest pipped one it sounds like the membrane is dry. Put a vegetable type oil on it. You may also need to add a safety hole. Use a nail or something that you can make a small hole in the air cell at the end of the egg.

Back
Top Bottom