Extra silky roos?

kywest

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
central Ohio
I'd like to get a few silky (or other bantam) chicks to raise as pets, but I see that all of the chicks are straight run. I can't keep roos due to neighbors. Is there a market for silky roos? I have culled roos before when I accidentally ended up with a few, but didn't find it pleasant (though, delicious...) and would rather not have to cull birds that I've worked hard to tame;-( How easy will they be to get rid of?

It really depends on the show quality of the bird. They are known as one of the most popular 4-h birds (around here, anyways) due to their calm personalities and their strange appearance. Talk to your local 4-H extension office and you are sure to get them a good home, especially if you work on taming them.

My Pet Chicken will sex silkies and other bantams, however, it's certainly not fool proof. Or you could buy POL birds that are much more easily sexed.
Many say that if you have an asian population in/near your area, that silkies are fairly easy to place, as their black bones are valued. Well bred silkie roos will be much easier to place than hatchery roos.

big_smile.png
I know you dont want to cull but look how good they look on the counter.

2011-08-29_18-10-13_949.jpg

Its like any rooster. If you have a buying he will get a new home. You cant really give roosters away around here. I dont know how good hatchery breeds are. I show quality bird may be easier. You know its just so hit or miss.

Back
Top Bottom