Extra Skin?

I only lost one of the two malpositioned chicks. Extra-skin-butt chick is the survivor of the pair. Thank you for the kind words, though! It's very nice of you!

From what I've read malpositioning is extremely common in shipped eggs, and I've hatched other malpositioned chicks from the same egg seller, so it's possibly something specific to their shipping method. They do seem to have a higher rate of this than anyone else I've gotten eggs from.

I dry incubate, to answer your humidity question. I try to hold at 30-35 percent humidity then bump it up. However, I will admit that we've been having rain storms pass through, and I can't actually REMOVE humidity, so it's possible that the humidity fluctuated and that influenced the hatch.

Again, since I've seen this in the highest instances with this particular breeder/seller it's hard to chalk it up to any particular variable.
Ah ok! :)
Have you though about contacting the breeder? Sometimes, if they are able, they will ship more at a discounted rate or at least offer something in return. :fl

They actually gave me a $10 discount on this batch of eggs, so I may very well order another batch regardless of the malpositioning problem. Malpositions can be due to bad genetics, shipping, humidity, and some 20% occur regardless of what you do, so I feel it would be hasty to place all the blame on the breeder.

They actually gave me a $10 discount on this batch of eggs, so I may very well order another batch regardless of the malpositioning problem. Malpositions can be due to bad genetics, shipping, humidity, and some 20% occur regardless of what you do, so I feel it would be hasty to place all the blame on the breeder.
Oh my.. i apologize... i didnt mean to imply i felt they are at fault.:(
I should have been more clear.
If you can talk to them about the situation it may benefit them as well. With all of the possibilities i do realize its nearly impossible to pin any one down. However with the possibility of it being a genetic issue they may want to know how many people who have baught eggs from them have had similar issues in order to decide if something is amiss with their flock. And they may decide it could be an issue in shipping and try something different. Personally, I would want to know if there were issues with any eggs I shipped for hatching, but that may just be me..:confused:
I hope I explained myself better. :fl
I really am sorry for the misunderstanding ...:hugs

Oh, no! No harm done at all!

I hadn't even thought of it from the angle of letting the breeder know there was an issue. I was taking it strictly as trying to get a discount due to the issues and felt that they've been very fair.

Now that I understand your point I will definitely shoot them a note and explain to them!

Oh, no! No harm done at all!

I hadn't even thought of it from the angle of letting the breeder know there was an issue. I was taking it strictly as trying to get a discount due to the issues and felt that they've been very fair.

Now that I understand your point I will definitely shoot them a note and explain to them!
Oh good.. i hate when Im not clear enough and cause misunderstandings.. im just not very good with txt talk.:rolleyes::lau

Im sure they'll appreciate it. At least I hope! :fl

Disclaimer-I know this post is old. I’m hoping someone sees my photo and comment and can shed light. I hatched out rumpless aracauna chicks and one of mine was born with a very large weird skin flap as well. To the OP-whatever became of your skin flap chick? I’ve never seen this issue before..it’s so strange.
5B8448DB-BF8B-46C1-85CA-4AE2AA5934F9.jpeg

Attachments

• 582A36C4-B7E2-4812-B524-03B95AB77F9F.jpeg
    582A36C4-B7E2-4812-B524-03B95AB77F9F.jpeg
    457.5 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom