Extras for quail

Johnny829

Chirping
Oct 9, 2018
Hi,
I’m raising about 10 quails hens as for pets not mainly for their eggs or meat. So I’m wondering if someone can give me a list of what extras could be for their coop, feed and anything you can come up with. Many thanks.

For now I have a 10X10X7 coop, some nesting boxes, shelter, feeder and waterer in it.

For their feed, I do turkey starter (30%), mealworms, oyster shells, greens.

What species of quail? I would recommend a complete and balanced feed of 24% protein. 30% protein feeds tend to burn them up, messes with their digestive tract. Can cause other GI tract problems. Of course this is my
2cents.gif
from my experiences. Your experience may and probably will differ. Good luck with your quail.

Last edited:
Any type of quail will love a box of sand refilled often, they dust bathe in it, eat it, play in it, I actually just use sand for my entire floor.
I also use 24 percent protein with mealworms as a treat every other day, for both my coturnix and gambels. they also love chopped boiled eggs and any bugs you find in the garden, moths and crickets seem to be favorites. And of course lots of different garden plants too. Make sure treats arent more than 10 to 15 percent of their diet, but i havent had a problem with mine eating their food and then they nibble their treats so i just toss in huge handfuls and change it out when i add more.
Enjoy your quail adventures, they are really a delight! Do you have pics?

This is our first time raising quail so I'm no expert. We use the cages for suet cakes and stuff them with greens. Our quail like dill, parsley, kale, curly mustard and cilantro. I give greens every day now, wild bird seed rotates with dried mealworms every other day. They eat their food, which is 27% turkey start with 24% waiting to be opened next. They have chick grit and I'll be adding os free choice shortly. I've seen them after bugs in the garden and they LOVE to have an afternoon dust bath in the sun.

This is our first time raising quail so I'm no expert. We use the cages for suet cakes and stuff them with greens. Our quail like dill, parsley, kale, curly mustard and cilantro. I give greens every day now, wild bird seed rotates with dried mealworms every other day. They eat their food, which is 27% turkey start with 24% waiting to be opened next. They have chick grit and I'll be adding os free choice shortly. I've seen them after bugs in the garden and they LOVE to have an afternoon dust bath in the sun.

Love the idea of suet cages. I've been looking for a way to hang greens, and that's perfect.

I would add, for the OP, that quail love having cover to hide and rest under. A low plant, a piece of bark or cardboard, a leafy/needly tree branch, something they can hunker under.

I produce meat and eggs but my two year old grandson has a favorite pair of females. I keep them separate and they are pets. They love the little cat toy that is a bell in a plastic ball. They try to get the bell out and even on occasion chase echase each other around the cage trying to steal it from one another. My grandson is loving his quail.

Back
Top Bottom