Extreme Cold (below zero) winter poultry care??

I live in Nebraska and the temps were below 0 and the wind chill was down to -30. My hens
are doing very well. I took everyone's advice and put extra straw in and kept them fed with
not only with their regular feed, but I also fed them greens, warm oatmeal, and sunflower
seeds for extra protein. In the evening they were given extra corn to eat before bed. So far
so good. I do not use a heater, but I have a heating lamp turn on. The hens are probably
hardier than I give them credit for, however, I'm a doting mother and want them to be
safe and warm. Another note, my hens were molting for about seven weeks.
Yesterday I pulled an egg from one of their nests. I hope this is a sign of eggs to come!!

I live in Maine and we have several stretches of negative temps. I recently took a class from a chicken farmer. She puts a pan of snow in the coop for her chickens. I haven't tried this yet but she says it works for her.

The pan of snow is an interesting idea, I've noticed mine will peck at it when I open the coop door. I live in northern WI and we usually get a week or more of below zero and way below zero wind chills. I haven't had any luck with water heaters, so I usually just provide warm water in a bowl twice a day. I give them lots of straw and use deep litter method but they usually perch anyway. They get cracked corn before dark. On the days where it's -20F below with a -40 below wind chill I also make them warm oatmeal and a small dish of sunflower seeds. They are in an uninsulated wooden coop with ventilation along the top, and it has two large windows to trap any heat from the sun. No heat lamp either.
I have mixed breed hens and cochins. So far I have only lost the two OEGB that were given to me, one last winter and one this winter. I don't know how old they were, and I know they're not a very cold hardy breed.

so i have heard not to heat the coop in case you lose power the birds will be adjusted to the cold- so if you have a heater and the electricity fails your birds will die, any truth to that?

I live in ct and we are expecting a blastof winter including snow (2-3 feet!) and subzero temps lasting many days. I am so worried for my chickens! I've got them in an uninsulated wooden coop with ill-fitting doors and windows. After reading this thread, I am planning to just continue taking them water twice a day, I put a 60 watt bulb in there to stay on all night, I will make them hot mash, and add extra shavings to the coop floor. I wish they knew about spring ... Those poor birdies are probably beginning to wish for death in their first New England winter.

It is heartening to hear from my chicken loving compadres from Wisconsin and the Dakotas who are managing to keep their flocks alive! Thank you for sharing!!! My "artic blast" is your average day! I think of you northerners all the time with admiration!!

Last edited:
I made a water heater by taking a cookie tin, drilling a hole in the side to insert electrical socket, wire and 40 watt bulb. Put lid on and set water on top. Works perfectly. It has been 3 degrees and it does not freeze. Amazing, you must try, it works. No more freezing water.

I live in WY and we don't heat the coop. It's insulated. It got into the negative twenties earlier in the year and the chickens handled it fine (three chickens- two buff orps and a SLW). The biggest pain was water. We had to run constant water changes to make sure they had drinking water available.

The weather has broken ... It's a blessed relief! It seems we survived all the snow (about ten separate storms six inches or more!) and three "attic blasts".

My easter egger, Marta, had one bout of weakness which I treated with a "spa day" which seemed to set her on the mend. That was a few weeks ago and she seemed well but now she has a case of early bumble foot. I am new to chicken farming and have done my research and purchased my surgery supplies (eek!!) and am going to "keep an eye on things" to see when to interfere. I am a little overwhelmed but I live my chickens and it is so good to see them our free ranging today for the first time in two months!

All hope all of the rest of you cold-climate-farmers are in the clear weather-wise!

Back
Top Bottom