Extreme Cranial Swelling-Graphic pics

Hey guys, just wanted to give everyone an update.. My mom had some prednisone left over from a previous trip to the vet so I picked it up Sunday and started him on it Sunday evening..he seems to be a slight bit improved but no where near enough to satisfy me.. I did get ahold of WVU and the extension office in my county..extension office had nothing to offer but the gentleman I spoke to at WVU is asking around his dept to see if they can help..for the time being I am going to just keep him in isolation and keep treating with the prednisone.. I cant begin to tell everyone how much I appreciate all of the help and advice.. I of course am still holding onto the hope that I will get up one morning and the swelling will have disappeared as fast as it appeared, but I know that is wishful thinking..

Thanks for keeping us updated. I really can't see prednisone helping if it is swollen head syndrome since it is not listed as a treatment in textbooks. The email address that I listed for Dr. Morishita at Ohio State Vet School (post 24) might get a question answered though, and you had good pictures to send. I hope he gets better soon, since the disease isn't supposed to last this long.

Last edited:
Well... so far no luck getting a response from anyone at the college or ext office, but still have good news..the swelling has gone down dramatically, seems that whatever it is has 'loosened' , for lack of a better description..I can now drain the fluid, I drained it yesterday and today both, noticeably less fluid today..He still seems to act like nothing is wrong, prognosis is looking better every day despite still not having a true answer. Will get pics tomorrow hopefully to show the difference, although I dont know whether it was the steroid that helped or just the natural course of 'mystery issue"

Thanks for keeping us updated. I really can't see prednisone helping if it is swollen head syndrome since it is not listed as a treatment in textbooks. The email address that I listed for Dr. Morishita at Ohio State Vet School (post 24) might get a question answered though, and you had good pictures to send. I hope he gets better soon, since the disease isn't supposed to last this long.
I used your link, but it only took me to a website and I had no luck finding an actual email address?? Unless I was overlooking something but I think I clicked every link on the page

Well... so far no luck getting a response from anyone at the college or ext office, but still have good news..the swelling has gone down dramatically, seems that whatever it is has 'loosened' , for lack of a better description..I can now drain the fluid, I drained it yesterday and today both, noticeably less fluid today..He still seems to act like nothing is wrong, prognosis is looking better every day despite still not having a true answer. Will get pics tomorrow hopefully to show the difference, although I dont know whether it was the steroid that helped or just the natural course of 'mystery issue"
Well, that's good news anyway! Hope he recovers fully for you.

Well..I dont know if it was the prednisone, SHS and it has pretty much ran its course, or something completely different..but here is a picture that I just took before bringing him in for the night:

Like night and day
big_smile.png
.. He was the most mature/dominant roo of the 2 blacks before all of this started and in the last 3 days, he has realized that the other black roo has been practicing crowing and that he is falling behind..lol..so he is doing his best to catch up...oh did I mention that he is in a medium dog crate on my dresser???...in my bedroom??..lol..but Im just happy to see him not swollen.. Thanks again to every one who posted and helped and offered suggestions or well wishes.. this is the reason I came to this group, and I was not disappointed !! <3 my chicken family

I'm so glad he is finally getting better. Apparently they do get better from swollen head syndrome, but your guy took a little longer. If I had a rooster on my dresser, my dogs would howl all night, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom