EXTREME EMERGENCY!!! Pooping Pure Liquid Blood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are nine different types of chicken coccidia, and they all live in different parts of the intestine and cause different types of damage, I think.

-Kathy

Yes I would treat with the medication if she were mine.I hope this helps and hope you can find it! Your feed lot should carry amprol. I wish you the best of luck!

Yes I would treat with the medication if she were mine.I hope this helps and hope you can find it! Your feed lot should carry amprol. I wish you the best of luck!
X2. If you can't find it at a feedstore, try to find someone that raises cattle, they might have some.

-Kathy

I hope she can last until Monday, the feed stores will be open then. Until then, all I have is a small amount of medicated chick starter. Would that even help?

I hope she can last until Monday, the feed stores will be open then. Until then, all I have is a small amount of medicated chick starter. Would that even help?
Probably not... you could also try a sulfa antibiotic, human for would be fine. Know any horse people? Horse people often have SMZ tablets, you could try that, too.

-Kathy

I just read about a milk flush that can help, with yogurt. I might try that until Monday.

How often do chickens Cecal poo? Its been 12 hours since I saw the blood.

I just ordered some Corid from Jeffers. I got priority post, but there is no telling how long it will take to get here, it could be as long as 2 weeks. They are not sure if it will make it to Canada, but they are going to try.

Only kind they had in a powder was 20% for calves, so Im going to have to figure out what dose is safe for the birds.

Last edited:
I just read about a milk flush that can help, with yogurt. I might try that until Monday.

How often do chickens Cecal poo? Its been 12 hours since I saw the blood.
When it happen with my turkey, I saw those poops a couple of times a day, usually in the morning.

-Kathy

Some of the sulfa drugs are rougher on their guts than others.

Amazon sells Corid as well. Any chance you can get into their Corid online?

Give them buttermilk if you can, or add powdered milk to their feed, to slow down the effects of the cocci until you get some amprolium. Here is a thread about another "stopgap" home remedy

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/461910/will-antibiotics-from-feed-store-treat-coccidia/0_20
I think that SMZ (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) is safer than Sulmet (sulfamethazine sodium), but I'm not sure.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom