EXTREME EMERGENCY!!! Pooping Pure Liquid Blood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to add, Corid is a broad spectrum parasite killer and works across species.
Meaning it kills coci across many animal types. It also seems to work killing other parasites.

Not that it is recommended to kill worms and such, but it explains why it cures many chickens who puff up and people link that lethargic puffy stance to coccidia.

So please dont think I meant that Corid can work to kill bacterial or viral infections in my earlier post.
What parasites are you talking about? As far as I know it's only good for treating coccidiosis.

-Kathy

What parasites are you talking about? As far as I know it's only good for treating coccidiosis.

-KathyP
Yes, i would like to know this also. My understanding has always been that Amprolium treats Coccidiosis,which is a parasitic infection,but not typical worms(which are parasites also). Perhaps this is where confusion has come in.

Wow, things have been active here since Ive been at work!!

So the sick chick is doing fine, but I have her isolated still. She is eating, drinking and walking around, her comb and wattles are red and her eyes are bright.

I got a recipe here, but I forgot to grab the butter milk from the store after work, so I had to use regular milk again. The stuff i made seemed to make the chick happier and her tail is now up.

I used 1/2 cup 4% milk
1tsp crushed garlic
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp molassas

I mixed it in with medicated chick starter and fed it to her. She loved it and ate a good half of it. She had some dark poops this morning, but they were not bloody poops. The only blood I found this morning were 2 small spots. So hopefully I have it in check until the Corid arrives. I will get her some yogurt as well as buttermilk tomorrow. The yogurt I can get is plain, unsweetened probiotic.

Im really glad another Canadian was able to weigh in here! I have tried to get the meds from the local vets, but they act as though its some kind of controlled substance. I dont know if its Provincial or just a local thing. I will try again tomorrow and see if i have any luck.

Now I need to find a good cleaner. Rochester Hatchery sells some, but I dont know anything about the product:

VIRKON: The ultimate virucidal disinfectant. Even used in Hospitals.
The 50 gram pouches make a 5 liter solution for final disinfection after
cleaning; Perfect for small facilities - This
non-irritating disinfectant can be used around humans and animals. $6.30
VIROCID: Highly concentrated
broad spectrum disinfectant
1 litre $33.50

Wow, things have been active here since Ive been at work!!

So the sick chick is doing fine, but I have her isolated still. She is eating, drinking and walking around, her comb and wattles are red and her eyes are bright.

I got a recipe here, but I forgot to grab the butter milk from the store after work, so I had to use regular milk again. The stuff i made seemed to make the chick happier and her tail is now up.

I used 1/2 cup 4% milk
1tsp crushed garlic
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp molassas

I mixed it in with medicated chick starter and fed it to her. She loved it and ate a good half of it. She had some dark poops this morning, but they were not bloody poops. The only blood I found this morning were 2 small spots. So hopefully I have it in check until the Corid arrives. I will get her some yogurt as well as buttermilk tomorrow. The yogurt I can get is plain, unsweetened probiotic.

Im really glad another Canadian was able to weigh in here! I have tried to get the meds from the local vets, but they act as though its some kind of controlled substance. I dont know if its Provincial or just a local thing. I will try again tomorrow and see if i have any luck.

Now I need to find a good cleaner. Rochester Hatchery sells some, but I dont know anything about the product:

VIRKON: The ultimate virucidal disinfectant. Even used in Hospitals.
The 50 gram pouches make a 5 liter solution for final disinfection after
cleaning; Perfect for small facilities - This
non-irritating disinfectant can be used around humans and animals. $6.30
VIROCID: Highly concentrated
broad spectrum disinfectant
1 litre $33.50
Just curious,when you spoke to vet,did you ask for Corid or Amprolium? Reason i am asking is when i first went looking for Corid,i was told that they either did not know what it was or did not stock this. Then realized Corid was brand name,and I instead asked for Amprolium which everyone had.

I use cleaning ammonia to disinfect after cocci gets out of hand. Bleach will not kill this.

Ordinary cleaning ammonia? Wow I was sure I would need to get something special like Oxine.

I did ask for both. I said "Do you carry Corid/Amprolium?" They said they do, but I would have to make an appointment. They asked what I needed it for and i said, "My chickens." They looked at me funny and told me they dont treat chickens and that the nearest poultry vet is down in Anapolis Valley, which is about 2.5 hours away.

I called him when they gave me the number. He wants $200 for the visit. So i decided to see if I could find someone who can sell me the product cheaper than $200. I might love my chickens, but thats steep, not to mention the gas getting there and back. We pay about $1.40/liter

Ordinary cleaning ammonia? Wow I was sure I would need to get something special like Oxine.

I did ask for both. I said "Do you carry Corid/Amprolium?" They said they do, but I would have to make an appointment. They asked what I needed it for and i said, "My chickens." They looked at me funny and told me they dont treat chickens and that the nearest poultry vet is down in Anapolis Valley, which is about 2.5 hours away.

I called him when they gave me the number. He wants $200 for the visit. So i decided to see if I could find someone who can sell me the product cheaper than $200. I might love my chickens, but thats steep, not to mention the gas getting there and back. We pay about $1.40/liter
Unbelievable,all i did was walk into a vet(that i had never been to before)and ask for Amprolium for my chicks. They handed it to me, no questions asked(this particular vet did not treat chickens either). I also have purchased from a different vet one other time,they handed it to me also. Is it possible to call them back and explain that they do not have to be able to treat chicks,they just have to let you purchase meds. I would even mention that in Manitoba you can walk in and purchase Amprolium,without an appointment(which i never make,when i know what medications i need). Not sure how much you need to purchase,i only purchase about 500ml at a time. Vet just puts it in a bottle for me,i never buy the whole container.

Last edited:
I think I might try a vet that lives near me. They dont keep a practice, but they do treat the local livestock on the nearby farms. Perhaps I can get some through them.

I was shocked too. Im not used to so many road blocks. Im from America and its really amazing what a person has to do in Canada to get something simple done....especially in Nova Scotia where we are tucked away far from the "real" world
gig.gif

I think I might try a vet that lives near me. They dont keep a practice, but they do treat the local livestock on the nearby farms. Perhaps I can get some through them.

I was shocked too. Im not used to so many road blocks. Im from America and its really amazing what a person has to do in Canada to get something simple done....especially in Nova Scotia where we are tucked away far from the "real" world
gig.gif
You should try it in Maine. I don't have a Vet within reason near me who will take chickens. The closest to me is 3.5 highway hours away. So for me, in reality, I have no Vet to help me at all. Not for meds or insight. Like you they won't let any but an established patient buy anything and they won't see chickens, lol. Yep, makes sense to me, lol. Oh, but wait! It gets better! Calling the extension office, i was told the State Vet recommends a Vet in the Bangor area....3.5 to 4 hours highway away....but!, she does phone consults! Drum roll please...$2.00 a minute AND she can't prescribe anything over the phone. LOL!!! Don't feel bad Reurra, you are not alone in this.

I also have to tell you I almost envy you....My husband and I talked about relocating to Nova Scotia. Beautiful place and pretty much the same ideas and living as when we were growing up.

Just curious,when you spoke to vet,did you ask for Corid or Amprolium? Reason i am asking is when i first went looking for Corid,i was told that they either did not know what it was or did not stock this. Then realized Corid was brand name,and I instead asked for Amprolium which everyone had.

I use cleaning ammonia to disinfect after cocci gets out of hand. Bleach will not kill this.
Ten chicks...do you have anything on using the ammonia instead of the bleach? I'm curious. I've seen this a couple of times but never where it came from. don't mind me, lol, I've just gotten into the habit of trying to read all the supporting info before I do anything now. It's just weird to me.

Ten chicks...do you have anything on using the ammonia instead of the bleach? I'm curious. I've seen this a couple of times but never where it came from. don't mind me, lol, I've just gotten into the habit of trying to read all the supporting info before I do anything now. It's just weird to me.
Yes,my understanding is because Coccidiosis is parasitic(produces eggs and cysts)which are extremely difficult to kill. Bleach will not kill cocci,a 10% ammonia solution is what is recommended to kill/disinfect. Bleach will kill bacteria/viruses.

Back
Top Bottom